Lots of inexpensive dive light options - any experience with these ones? (photos)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you really want to spread the light, and don't mind losing some intensity, use a simple white diffuser (like used on flourescent lamps).

Yeah, I've been considering doing that too. But what did you use for a diffuser / where did you get it? I found a guy selling inexpensive diffusion film here, but I'm not sure if it would work / stay attached underwater:
Phaserburn's Diffusion Film - DC Fix - CPF Service

When you find a light check out my Goodman handle I designed with the help of some other scubaboarders.

Looks very "handy" - thanks for sharing! Take care,
--Kyle

OP - don't think it says anywhere in this thread where you will be diving? Makes a big difference.

OP - don't think it says anywhere in this thread where you will be diving? Makes a big difference.

All tropical. The lights are mainly for use on night dives (which I really enjoy), but I also would keep one with me for looking under ledges during the day, etc. I may rarely dive cenotes, bontaire mine, etc. too, but I'm not buying a light to meet those rare requirements... Take care,
--Kyle

Yeah, I've been considering doing that too. But what did you use for a diffuser / where did you get it? I found a guy selling inexpensive diffusion film here, but I'm not sure if it would work / stay attached underwater:
Phaserburn's Diffusion Film - DC Fix - CPF Service

Looks very "handy" - thanks for sharing! Take care,
--Kyle

I used free flourescent light diffuser samples from Tap plastic. Similar things can be bought at most hardware stores. See post 11 of this thread:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/gopro-video/425784-my-gopro-3d-setup-2.html#post6411811

If you are doing tropical night dives, then your primary should be the wide angle. Don't know if going to 2000 lumens would be of any use unless you want to light up a while wreck. Plus, it is more important to have the availability of batteries and be able to charge them fast enough for multiple night dives . Can the battery last throughout a whole dive?

agree, for tropical dives wide angle is a better primary at night, and brighter is not always better. I use my wide angle light (PT Miniwave) on it's low setting and that's usually plenty - no need to turn it into a day dive, fry the coral and scare the fish. A wide angle (or about any) light can signal fine at night in clear water. Narrow beam makes an ok backup and a good daytime light for looking under things. I also run my C-cell lights on AA rechargables in adapters to save weight and not have to carry another type of battery, and have not had a problem with capacity.

agree, for tropical dives wide angle is a better primary at night, and brighter is not always better. I use my wide angle light (PT Miniwave) on it's low setting and that's usually plenty - no need to turn it into a day dive, fry the coral and scare the fish. A wide angle (or about any) light can signal fine at night in clear water. Narrow beam makes an ok backup and a good daytime light for looking under things. I also run my C-cell lights on AA rechargables in adapters to save weight and not have to carry another type of battery, and have not had a problem with capacity.

I agree! A wide angle in the 200-300 lm range gives you plenty of light without washing everything out for a tropical local with good vis. I use the penetrator 220 as a backup. Brighter is not always better.

Thanks guys! That was never my question though :) I agree that wide angle would be best, but some in this thread starting suggesting a narrow beam. I was just looking for experiences with the particular lights in question - and whether they are wide angle or not (because that's never really listed)... Take care,
--Kyle

Hi All,
Just thought I'd post a quick follow-up to this thread. I ended up buying the Keygos S3 (AKA Yezl Q2). I did my first night dives with this light last week and had great results. I also took a TrustFire TR-J2 down with me and tried both of them. They both work well, but the Keygos S3 has a wider angle and was a little brighter too. I really preferred it. I had applied some diffusion film to the inside of the lens to smooth out the hotspot and that worked great too. For $36 on eBay, I'd certainly recommend this light for diving! Take care,
--Kyle

DRIS just released their new 1000 lm, 5" 'Shorty' light.......3 AA batteries [easy to find] 2.5 hr burn time at full power.......Around $105.00...If it works as advertised it'll be a powerful compact light at an excellent price........

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom