Lost weight but increased lead

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DanielRJones

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Not been able to hold a safety stop the last week.
I am 6ft2 and 240lb and train a few times a week.
Since dive 8 have been in the same drysuit with the same weight 10kg split 6 on main pockets and 4 on trim pockets and a 12l faber
I dive a 5mm crushed neo dry suit with a gul thermal undersuit.
From dives 10-30 this was fine and could hold at 5m with 60bar just (bcd and suit empty) until yesterday where I was having to short breathe to hold and today the same even holding a rock off the bottom to help.

Next dive will swap my weights and add 1.2kg but I thought losing weight and getting leaner would decrease my lead not add it.

Normally that would be the case, assuming the weight loss is fat loss instead of lean muscle mass or water loss.
Only other variable I can think of in your case is that you may unknowingly have some additional trapped air in the drysuit. You didn't mention your BCD? I assume you are wearing all of the same gear? Dive light(s), Camera, BC and any other even minor gear changes can impact buoyancy. How much weight loss have you experienced?

Weight loss is about the same as it been last month but am on a strength program atm so losing fat and increasing muscle but lost a bit of size off my body.
Only difference today was I did not have my smb and reel which I was wearing yesterday otherwise same down to dive slate.

Only thing I can think is I had a bubble trapped somewhere will do a weight check with an empty tank next week again.

Stop eating beans - lol.

If your frame or build changed significantly enough that you were smaller in your drysuit, you might tend to be putting more air to get to comfortable fluff than if your body were bigger taking up more volume in said drysuit.

The baggier a drysuit, the more I see getting folds and creases that hurt and you'll fluff more to alleviate that.

Do you think your air input in the drysuit is slightly more than normal to get to comfy fluff?

If your frame or build changed significantly enough that you were smaller in your drysuit, you might tend to be putting more air to get to comfortable fluff than if your body were bigger taking up more volume in said drysuit.

The baggier a drysuit, the more I see getting folds and creases that hurt and you'll fluff more to alleviate that.

Do you think your air input in the drysuit is slightly more than normal to get to comfy fluff?
My suit does not have much free space in it but did not add in more than normal that I can remember 3 little squirts over a 30min dive. Will test again on sat. The wife is finding it easier to zip me in so must have a bit more space in there with me. I think I must have had a slight bubble on my back on top of already being very close to positive when empty

I found that as i lost weight and got better looking i had to add alot more weight because i was so HOT and hot rises :acclaim:... Actually when i lost weight i had to add ankle weights cause my feet kept floating...

I am a bit head high so have been moving the tank up slowly. My feet feel the squeeze more than anything so I let a little bit into my feet which also sorts my trim out

Do a weight check after your next dive: when you get back to the boat, with 500 lbs in the tank, take off 2 lbs and see if you can still sink. If you can, repeat.

I once had lots of trouble holding safety stops. (I kept adding lead because, you know, you really want to be able to hold SSs.) A friend saw me bouncing around a bit at the stop and started taking off lead -- I dropped 12 lbs. that day - best thing I ever did!

I used to dive with about 20 lbs on a full 3mil. Now I dive with 6 lbs on a full 5. GUE Fundies helped a lot.

- Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom