Can't seem to get enough weight to acheive neutral on the surface

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mark...

As well as adding trim weight pockets...you may want to try ''shot packs'' as opposed to hard ballast...they're more friendly to your BC and will shape shift where hard weights will not...I swear by ''Sea Pearls'' shot packs...

Assuming you're diving with a 3AL 80...you may want to upgrade to HP 100 steel cylinders...check out DGX for prices...if you're going to wear ballast...it may as well be something you can breath from...

Hope this helps...

W.M...
I am sure that there are quite a number of divers over here that wonder about the (primarily) US fixation about AL tanks. The standard tanks that most people use over here (apart from stages/ponies) are steel and only a few AL tanks get sold

For me, steel tanks have far better properties for divers. Aluminium tanks IMHO tend to be harder to trim and make weighting an issue due to their tendency to be positively buoyant at the end of a dive.

Depending on the type of tank you use you can take around 19 lbs.
A steel tank can be of use.

And now of the stupidest part of my answer:

- make sure your bc is completely deflated (sorry - I know, sounds stupid but trust me, at my very first dive I discovered myself it's worth checking :oops:)
- empty your lungs enough. You would be surprised how much air is still present in your lungs after you've exhaled

Estimated Diving Weight Calculator | DiveBuddy.com

The only weight check that counts is at the end of a dive: near empty tank, empty BC, and only enough weight to hold the 15’ safety stop.
I find I have to duck dive, unless I’m carrying a lot of air, because of residual air in the BC, and the buoyancy of the wetsuit (before compression at depth)

Bob

The only weight check that counts is at the end of a dive: near empty tank, empty BC, and only enough weight to hold the 15’ safety stop.

Bob

True. That exercise should be done for the different circumstances (fresh/salt water - different dive suite/equipment etc.) My findings were confirmed by a calculator.

Over time you'll need less weight when you're experience level increases.

Good morning folks,

I'm 215 lbs, 6'1 "

Fresh water diving.

Using an Aqualung Aquaflex 5m suit and an Aqualung Zuma BCD.

I've got 16 lbs loaded into the Zuma, and fully deflated, but still am positive.

The Zuma will only hold two 4 lb weights in each pocket. Tried to go with a 5lb but the dimensions of the weight were too big for the pockets.

I'm thinking I need somewhere around 4 lbs. more, and really don't want to use a weight belt if I don't have to.

Does Aqualung offer accessories to add more weight to the Zuma ?

Suggestions ?

Thanks !

Are you sure that your BCD is fully deflated? When divers are starting out, they will often deflate their BCDs while leaning somewhat forward, and in that position, it will appear like the BCD is fully deflated because air stops coming out, when in fact there is still air trapped in the BCD. If you lean back, past what seems like vertical, you may find that you can suddenly release several more puffs of air that make all the difference.

Also, when trying to descend, have you tried crossing your legs and arms? When divers are starting out they usually descend feet first, and they tend to move their feet in order to steady themselves in the water column. Moving your feet with fins on == kicking. And if you do that while in a vertical position, you are kicking up. So try crossing your legs (and also your arms) when descending from the surface.

You may find that those two little tricks allow you to descend without adding more weight.

I do believe that, next to being taught properly, experience does make a difference.

Agreed. With experience comes further trust in your equipment and ease/confidence to fully empty lungs when starting descent.

I'm 215 lbs, 6'1 "

Fresh water diving.

Using an Aqualung Aquaflex 5m suit and an Aqualung Zuma BCD.

I've got 16 lbs loaded into the Zuma, and fully deflated, but still am positive.

You could try pulling on the neck seal and letting water in: I'm around 180 lbs @ 6'1" and I've a big air bubble in the mid-section in AL 7 mm. Just put some air in your BCD first: if it is the air bubble, you might sink like a rock all of a sudden.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom