Lost villages

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

XJae:
i am up for the arundo, i was hoping to hit it before the season ends.
there are some jeep parts calling my name, maybe those are the bottles calling???

hey, maybe we can hit those two locomotives i saw on dsd last night. i think they sit in 90'.

I've hit it twice and it's a fun dive, the last time i went a guy found a nice pair of brass binoculars. there is lots of stuff to see trucks machines etc...

I think my dive computer showed 130 ft

XJae:
i looked back at the trip report saturation put on rodales and it looks like from the point where they allow divers to enter, it would be a good 2-3000' surface swim out. that would be to the closest of the roads which would be about 45-85' deep.

i'd be up for trying a shore dive from the designated diver spot. i'd be more up for a boat dive. i think they allow up to 9hp boats, but im not sure if they allow boat diving.

definately worth checking out, just based on the fact that there really isn't any info out there and nobody seems to know for sure what's down there.
Yeah that's the article I was looking for. 3000'...hmm...so that's why we need some Zodiacs!

XJae:
I think there are some platforms there as well.
I'm guessing it's true I saw this mentioned on Village Divers site.

Sean326:
Or on a boat doing a 140' dive.... the arundo or something....

Haven't we all beat dutch to death... we need to meet there to paractice for this dive????

were mostly diving dutch together and seperate every few weekend anyway.
I'd be up for a boat, but not until after we do this dive. I just sent my drysuit in for some work. If I have to cut a lake dive short because I'm cold, BIG deal, but I wouldn't want that to happen after spending the money on a boat.

Hochhauser:
Have you ever dove in any of the lakes in the area? or the Delaware... I'm actually in Yulan.. about 5 miles outside of Eldred - but lots of lakes there and only about 2 miles off the Delaware. I drive up from Paramus many weekends.... Where can you fill a tank up there?

When are you thinking about diving at Round?
I did the train wrecks in the river last summer. Shallow (less than 20') and pretty bad vis, but pretty cool. You need to have your bouyancy down to do this dive, one little brush along the bottom and the little vis there is get reduced to 0 for a few minutes.

Well it would have to be in the next few weeks since there are only open until Halloween.

FWIW, there is a diveable village under Lake Candlewood just over the border in Danbury Connecticut. The village was named Jerusalem or New Jerusalem. Visibility can be a problem in Candlewood (though not for you wreck valley guys:wink:

Here is what I know about Round Valley from trying to dive there and reading and asking questions. I got most of my info from the Whitehouse Aquatics shop owner, located about 40 minutes from DS. First, the Whitehouse Aquatics dive shop owner (I forget his name, it's in my log) says he built the platform in there about 15-20 yrs ago. It's in 20-30 feet of water and right now the temp is high 70's down to about 30 feet and then it gets very cold with a few thermoclines down to 165 ft. As for the city, he said that nothing exists now but some small rubble piles and walls. He showed me a picture of the place being torn down and bulldozed before they flooded it. It looked pretty flat and sandy to me. Also, he says that it is pretty much just a large mud flat with nasty silting possibilities and very poor viz down deep. He also said that what they didn't bulldoze was finished off by the National Gaurd using the former town for bombing and shooting practice. If you call the shop, he will answer questions in a grumpy tone but friendly manner.

I have never been diving there but have hiked and waded in the warm and clear water. It looks great in the shallows and the three fish are suppossed to be quite tame. I do plan on diving shallow there soon. Maybe on Sunday.

One other problem is that diving is only permitted (by the Ranger) in a small diving area next to the shore. You may run into a problem with a surface swim out to the center. But what they don't see may not hurt them...

As Xjae mentioned, I tried to dive there last week but the new "out of the water by two" rule (I believe that goes for weekends too) went into effect after Labor Day so we went to DS as it was already 1pm when we got to the shop.

Someone posted the link to the Scubadiving.com report above. That report is somewhat helpful but still the leaves a mystery over the whole town part. Well, I saw the photo. It's not worth diving it deep but that's just my opinion. Nonetheless, be safe and make sure to do a report as we are all still interested in knowing for sure. Be safe!

Jason

grunzster:
Someone wrote an article on one of the other sites, can't seem to find it now. I think they said there was some remains (parts of a foundation, etc.) at about 60' then they saw a few more intact houses much deeper.
Here you go.
http://dive.scubadiving.com/members/tripreports.php?s=1632
saturation is a member of this board, maybe he'll chime in.

if this has been a reservoir for over 50 years, maybe some new things have sunk over the years.

Yup and to repeat myself again...it's just someplace else to dive.

About 10 of us met on Saturday. Did some grilling got a few dives in including the night dive. Vis wasn't that great, but cleared up later in the day. Could see the airplane fromthe surface before the night dive.

Not sure about Sunday.

Sunday was ok. Vis was great right off the bat. We were able to clearly see the platforms from the surface. I'd say vis was 35+.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom