Lost villages

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jonny_Rocket

Contributor
Reaction score
There's some local legend around where I live, that there are lost villages in the resevoirs that were flooded. The one that comes to mind is, in the Neversink Resevoir when the water level is low enough you can see the cross from the church that served the original town of Neversink. I wanted to dive the approximate site of the old village, and called the State Police first to see if diving in resevoirs was even legal. Unfortunatly (if some of you don't know) it isn't. Is there anyway to get a special permit to explore these old village locations?

http://www.catskillcenter.org/programs/csp/H20/Lesson4/lost.htm

It said on the main pages of that site that the buildings were all burned down or removed, but what if there's any truth to the stories... Either way, I think it would be a cool thing to check out.

"Never sink"............funny name for a village at the bottom of a lake

I think there is at least one in the area that is diveable - but I honestly don`t know where - I did hear someone mentioning a suken village you can dive a few years back - apparently footage was used in a movie - but I don`t recall which movie ! ... yeah .. I know .. i`m a ton of help !

There have been stories for years that there is a flooded town at the bottom of lake wallenpaupack in the poconos. I've dove it a few times (my bro has a boat on it) and there was a town there but they completely took it apart... I've only seen the occasional road bed and some sections of track...

Round Valley has a sunken village, but I've heard most of the more intact buildings are further out in pretty deep water.

I've been told there is a sunken Spanish mission near Chazawitska (sp) FL, but that the alligators may disuade you from diving it.

grunzster:
Round Valley has a sunken village, but I've heard most of the more intact buildings are further out in pretty deep water.

What's "pretty deep" mean?

sound like a wreck valley road trip opportunity

I've never been past 135 feet... I'm ready, willing, and able to learn though. Would love to dive it if we can put something together...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom