Lost Luggage en route to Nassau

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

raviepoo

Contributor
Reaction score
in exile in the Pennsyltucky Archipellago
# of dives
500 - 999
OK it was only misplaced. It turned up 24 hours later, but it turned 2 days of training into one day of training because I could not do my class without my BC, reel, lift bag and stage bottle.

I learned four important things from the incident:

1- Airlines lie. American said that had no way of knowing where my bag was. I don't believe that for a minute. If they can pull my bags off of the flight when they determine that I failed to baord, they can #&%$ well tell me that my bag was delayed at LaGuardia due to the extra time it took to search it. (Yes, I know it was searched. The contents were not arranged as they were when I packed tham and the zipper was broken.)

2 - Never, never, never, ever, ever pack my regulators or dive computers in checked luggage.

3 - DAN preferred insurance covers up to $2500 of lost equipment. It's DEFINITELY worth the extra premium dollars. I had a moment of wondering how I was going to replace roughly $1800 of lost scuba gear when the airlines limitation of liability for international flights is only $600. Then I remembered my DAN preferred policy. Yay!

4- When checking scuba gear that is essential to the success of a trip, arrive at the airport early enough to give airport security time to man handle the contents of your baggage.

Geeze, if I had been connecting with a liveaboard I would have spent the entire trip without my gear!

Back
Top Bottom