Lost Looney Bird Found In Destin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaYoda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
One of your local Looney Birds has turned up here in Destin. Here are pics of him in WARM water :D.

LOL, great pics, too bad that guy looks like a LOSER! I'm glad to see they came out, thanks SY. That first pic of me on the boat you can see how sick I look. Those diesel fumes were tearing me up, and there was no where to get away from them. I kept trying to drink water to kill the scratch in my throat, but it was to no avail. Thanks again for posting the pics,

Matt

Thanx for finding him, Yoda.
I was beginning to think he had gone AWOL from our mudhole.

the K

Thanks for finding him. Now back to the cold, dark mudhole...you've had your few minutes of fun!:D

Hope you had a great time down there Matt.

Jeremy

Hey Thanks guys, I am looking forward to getting back into our mudhole. Since weekends seem to be out of the question I am hoping to get out to lanier sometime midweek next week.

The porthole was on the Eglin LCM-8. It sits in 100'. It is one of those old WWII boats that they used to storm the beaches. It was apparently modified and used for some usage at the Eglin AFB, and then sunk as an artificial reef. The wheelhouse has been ripped off by Opal (so I was told).

The second picture is me hanging out doing my safety stop on the Miss Louise I believe.

Matt

Cool.

I didn't recognize the porthole from any of the sites I've dove off of Destin. I haven't been to the LCM-8, but I've been to the Miss Louise several times :) the superstructure used to lie near the side of the hull, but Ivan pancaked and covered it. Was the palm tree still there?

SuPrBuGmAn:
Cool.

I didn't recognize the porthole from any of the sites I've dove off of Destin. I haven't been to the LCM-8, but I've been to the Miss Louise several times :) the superstructure used to lie near the side of the hull, but Ivan pancaked and covered it. Was the palm tree still there?
I didn't see a palmtree. There was a white chair there that was covered in some coral though.

Matt

The picture with the boat was about 15' down on the LCM dive. The water was very clear and warm up at the top but not down below 50'.

My father-in-law says LCM stands for landing craft machine.

The superstructure of the Miss Louise was moved by Ivan. I think they said it was pushed 200 yards off. Ivan opened the top of the deck some too.

Where was the palm tree at?

We did see a little goliath grouper on the Miss Louise. Here's a pic I got just before he swam off.

goliath.jpg

Cool! I still haven't seen a Goliath either. How big was it?

There was a palm tree leaning against the side of the Miss Louise in December, I'm pretty sure it used to be sitting in someones front lawn on the beach before Ivan had something to say about it :) It was an odd site though, tugboat hull with a palm tree leaned against the side of if... in 50' of water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom