Lost dive log -- any possible wayarounds?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kylera

Registered
Reaction score
When I moved from Indonesia to Korea in 2002, I had a majority of my stuff shipped via sea. What happened later on was that the ship that had my stuff was hijacked, and just about everything that was on board that belonged to me went *poof*. Long story short, insurance got my stuff back, but not my dive log with some 60+ logged and signed dives. I shrugged this problem off for awhile because of mandatory military service, which means no diving for 2 years (I'm Korean).

Now that I'm trying to get back into the loop, there are some resorts that request dive longs to prove level of certification or experience. Will I have to start from Dive One again with a new log, or is there some other (more palatable) alternative? For reference, I'm PADI-certified Master Scuba Diver.

Well a buddy of mine emailed me this morning for the details of a dive we made last summer that he never logged. You might try contacting your most frequent buddies for copies of their logs which list you as a buddy. Don't worry about what is signed, most don't bother anyhow. My log is all in an spreadsheet of which I carry a hard copy. Going forward consider an electronic format that makes it easy to back-up the master copy in different places. With online storage it can even be accessible from a remote destination of you forget or lose the copy you brought.

Your PADI Master Scuba Diver certification is evidence of a certain number of dives and also defines some of the scope. Enter all of those in your recreated logbook.

Include a page that explains the origin of all these prior dive entries. This will avoid the possibility of being accused of pulling a "fast one".

Pete

PADI master scuba diver requires at least 50 dives so your MSD card should be good enough to show that.

Start a new Logbook with the last dive and show your card.

When I moved from Indonesia to Korea in 2002, I had a majority of my stuff shipped via sea. What happened later on was that the ship that had my stuff was hijacked, and just about everything that was on board that belonged to me went *poof*. Long story short, insurance got my stuff back, but not my dive log with some 60+ logged and signed dives. I shrugged this problem off for awhile

Just start a new book @ 60-something, and go diving.

I've never had dive ops look at more than my last couple of dives. Most don't look at all and just want a C-card and your visa card.

Terry

Start a new log and approximate the current dive number. Sooner or later you would fill your log and have to start a new one anyway. I have a stack of them and I don't haul them all around with me (plus no one ever asks me, anyway.) I'm surprised to hear you're finding many places that want a log and aren't happy with your Master Diver card (and of course Visa) maybe it's your location. At least a cert card is proof of something while a dive log isn't really proof of anything.

If you really need it or you'd like, sure take a crack at rebuilding what you can of the old one.

I've only been asked for my dive log once and that was when I was a new diver. I was diving in Catalina and the DM only wanted to see it out of curiosity. I take mine with me on every dive trip not just because they tell you to bring it but so I can record bits of information. It's getting to the point where I'm running out of room and will soon need to get a new one to continue with. I've often wondered what would I do if they ask to see it and I produce a new log book that doesn't have any numbers in it yet. Would they believe me? I do have a computer that keeps a complete history of all my dives (number of dives only) and also keeps a dive log of the last 50 dives, but other than that, they would have to take my word for it. If you carry all your C-cards with you, (I always carry mine on my person when traveling) the dates of certifications should attest to your experience I would think. I know alot of divers who have been diving for quite some time and never keep a log.

I'm surprised to hear you're finding many places that want a log and aren't happy with your Master Diver card (and of course Visa)

There you go. Show them your Master & Visa cards and tell them if the C-cards you have are not sufficient, you will take these other cards somewhere else. ChaChing!!! :lol:

At least a cert card is proof of something while a dive log isn't really proof of anything.

Yes, you are absolutely right. I've heard of inexperienced divers "faking" dive logs just so they could participate in dives that they really weren't qualified for. :shakehead:

Start a new log book. Also try this.
Go to docs.google.com
Create an account if you don't already have a Google Mail/etc account.
After a trip, copy your dives into a google document.

Now you can access your dive log from anywhere as long as there is an internet connection and you have a backup of your hard copy than can be printed out.

I'm on log #6 or so & now tend to log a dive series rather than individual dives unless one stands out.
I've never been asked for my log, & if they did, I'd try to get by with scrolling the last few dives in my computer. One warning, with a 2 year hiatus, don't be surprised if a resort asks you to do a checkout dive, & possibly a refresher. No big deal, & possibly a good thing too, depending on how rusty you really are. BTW, how come everything gets rusty when in salt water & we get rusty when out?

francisco

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom