Lost Card - Unknown Agency

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

from that long ago I doubt you will find any records at the agencies. You've got plenty of time, get a fresh start

PADI actually has one as well, though somewhat indirect. Just follow the "diver replacement card" process at the bottom http://www.padi.com/scuba/applications/studentRCOL/default.aspx
All you need is a name (how many names did your wife have in the 80's?) and DOB - assuming she used her real one it should be easy to confirm if it was PADI. If it happens to be PADI, you're already most of the way done ordering a new card :)

I wouldn't blindly send money to them and assume it was a PADI certification. I was referring to PADI Dive Check which, for some oddball reason, can only be accessed by DMs or higher. I always thought that was a poor idea, especially if a shop with a different agency wants to verify a PADI diver.

Also, not all certifications are easy to confirm with PADI. Especially older ones. PADI's system is very, very picky about searching names. If there was no middle initial and you search with one, it won't find it. Same with the other way around. Then you get people who fill out paperwork wrong and mix up day and month. Then you're searching a correct name but incorrect DOB. It can be a cluster...

Where are her text books, and where are her tables? That might give clues to the agency......

I wouldn't blindly send money to them and assume it was a PADI certification. I was referring to PADI Dive Check which, for some oddball reason, can only be accessed by DMs or higher. I always thought that was a poor idea, especially if a shop with a different agency wants to verify a PADI diver.

Also, not all certifications are easy to confirm with PADI. Especially older ones. PADI's system is very, very picky about searching names. If there was no middle initial and you search with one, it won't find it. Same with the other way around. Then you get people who fill out paperwork wrong and mix up day and month. Then you're searching a correct name but incorrect DOB. It can be a cluster...

I had a tough time finding my wife's records in the PADI system but, as a non-professional I did and was able to buy a replacement card. FTR you do not pay until you find the record/buy the card (or that was the case when I did it a year ago) so there is not blindly sending them money.

Last edited:

You don't send them money (unless of course you actually want the card) you just fill the info out and see if it returns any record matches. It may not return anything but there's no reason to not try it.

You can also call them. 1-800-429-7234

Follow the menu. If it gets frustrating, just mash numbers. You can always get to a person and they can direct you the right way. I had a guy come into the shop who certified PADI in something like 1978. Couldn't find him on Dive Chek. Called PADI and, after a while on hold, they found his records on microfiche. Needless to say I was fairly impressed.

---------- Post added August 29th, 2013 at 01:41 PM ----------

You don't send them money (unless of course you actually want the card) you just fill the info out and see if it returns any record matches. It may not return anything but there's no reason to not try it.

My mistake. I've never used the form. With the advent of the internet, email, and telephones I don't send anything to them in the mail. They're quite efficient via email and phone, at least in my experience.

Thank all who have helped me out with this. I found her books and certificate but not her card. She was certified under national association of scuba diving schools in 1986. Now I just need to contact ssi and see if I can get a replacement card.

thanks again.

Yep, NASDS is no more....., might be a challenge. Certificate? With that, as a minimum, a refresher is possible (and as a minimum, in proper order).

I was assuming we would find the card and do the sit in as the refresher. I'm checking with the nearest dive shop to see about a refresher course and if we can't find or get a replacement card I'll check about a OW course for her.

If you do not have a card then you will not be able to do a "refresher"..she will not be a certified diver with out the card.She can do a discover scuba before the trip, but that will count for nothing Take the course over again as she will have to do it again at the Jamaican resort and can only dive to 40' with a dive pro..If you have not been diving in the past 5 years you really should do it again as well being that you have so few dives since being certified.

---------- Post added August 29th, 2013 at 08:29 PM ----------

Thank all who have helped me out with this. I found her books and certificate but not her card. She was certified under national association of scuba diving schools in 1986. Now I just need to contact ssi and see if I can get a replacement card.

thanks again.

Ok she was certified in one point in time..SSI seems to no longer issues replacement cards on NASDS behalf..They did at one point in time,,
1986 was a long time ago.Skills that she learned back then are long gone. Gear has changed and our own bodies have changed in all that time..Really should take the entire course over to be safe, alot has changed over the years..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom