Lost Card - Unknown Agency

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That is actually the website for Aquastrophics. For lots and lots of reasons, everybody here will strongly suggest NOT using them.

I also stand behind those saying to retake the entire OW course. A "refresher" or "resort course" after 25 plus years is not going to do the job. Your profile suggests that you might not have done much since you were certified either.

+1 - the following has been reprinted periodically, meaning there are still peeps being suckered by this guy:

From the PADI Undersea Journal Third Quarter 2013 : "Please note that neither David Holt, Aquastrophics, SDA (Scuba Divers of America) nor OnlineScubaLessons.com have been PADI Members at any time. Please also note that the academic program offered by these three entities is not valid for PADI Open Water Diver referrals nor certification."

Don't waste your money on this scam. Sign your wife up for an OW course through your LDS and have her re-certified from the beginning. Her safety is too important to leave to chance.

^ All I can guess is that he skirts problems by:
-The fact that diving certs aren't licenses so he can print whatever he wants with a card printer
-I'm guessing he never puts any logos on the cards to avoid copyright violation
-No jurisdiction actually cares. As a former law enforcement officer, we wouldn't come close to dealing with this. You got a fake card? Should have done your research a bit better.
-If there is no copyright violation, none of these agencies can do anything about it. They aren't government agencies.

I've never had anyone come to my shop and mention this guy or bring in his fake certificates but it'll be a sad day for someone when it happens.

Sounds like she hasn't used the card in a number of years. Not to be too much of a smart alec, but if she hasn't used the card enough to remember what agency she certified with, do you believe she'll remember any of what she was taught. Personally, I'd suggest a complete new course for her. Does she have any type of logbook or anything?

I agree. If she's been out of diving for more than a few years, I'd retake the course anyway.

I was assuming we would find the card and do the sit in as the refresher. I'm checking with the nearest dive shop to see about a refresher course and if we can't find or get a replacement card I'll check about a OW course for her.
A refresher course would be appropriate if she hadn't dived in 3-5 years. If its been so long that she can't even remember the agency or what name she used, I really suggest that she do the course over. What would it hurt? It could save her life or even yours. Sounds like you may need a refresher, too.

I agree. If she's been out of diving for more than a few years, I'd retake the course anyway.

I'll second that. I practice skills all year in class, and dive pretty much year-round, but if it's been a really cold January/February and I haven't been diving or teaching for a couple of months, the skills fade really fast.

I wouldn't count on any skills I learned more than 6 months ago. Anything more than a couple of years old is pretty much gone. Even if the OP found her C-Card, about all it's good for at this point is getting into trouble.

flots.

This reminds me of my ex-husband. He came back to diving after I was certified and he hadn't dived in 15 years. He'd never used a modern BC.
He refused to take a class of any kind and I was just out of OW,plus we moved up to WA state so had cold water to deal with for the first time as well.
We never got into serious trouble but he was a terrible diver,scary terrible. I was basically teaching him how to dive and I was right out of OW,we were shore diving by ourselves on weekends.
It's a wonder that nothing bad ever happened.

Weren't a bunch of their records lost in a fire? Seem to recall hearing that.

Yes, including my original records. You pretty much needed the name of the instructor and some collaboration to get an SSI replacement card, most dive shops come and go so that is tough. The old NASDS cards had a micro fiche chip, cutting edge tech back then. Unfortunately, the process of embedding the chip made a card that crumbled into little pieces with age. I held it together with packing tape for awhile and then lost track of it.

I was also SOL and just redid a PADI OW with my kids when I returned to diving. In hindsight, it was the right thing to do.

Thank all who have helped me out with this. I found her books and certificate but not her card. She was certified under national association of scuba diving schools in 1986. Now I just need to contact ssi and see if I can get a replacement card.

thanks again.
If she can remember which last name you might try this - https://www.divessi.com/online_diver_check

I have an NASDS replacement card that was issued by SSI after they merged - I don't remember when but it was probably early 2000's. I was certified in 1981. But I also knew my instructor's name and the shop was still in business. I still have the form I used then, here's what it said about the verification - and the fire:
3. Please send a copy of any of the following if available:
• Old Card
• Diploma
• Logbook with Instructor signature.
Replacement Cards – 1977 NASDS Fire.
We may not be able to locate records in our NASDS files due to a fire which occurred at NASDS headquarters in 1977, destroying all previous records. However, if you can provide one of the following to prove certification, we can provide you with an SSI Card:
• A photocopy of both sides of your NASDS Card (even if it is in pieces or damaged)
• A photocopy of a diploma
• A photocopy of your logbook with instructor signatures
• A letter from your original instructor on letterhead with their contact information.
If you are unable to provide us proof of certification through NASDS, then you will need to contact a local SSI Dive Center and request an Experienced Diver Test to becrossed over to SSI.
We will verify your certification, make a replacement card and return it to you as quickly as possible. If for any reason we are unable to verify your certification, we will return your photo and payment.

Replacement card form directions.
After 2002, your NASDS card will be replaced with an Equivalent SSI card.

I'd also do any refresher course here as they don't seem to list any SSI facilites on Jamaica.

Um, this will probably do the trick. It lets you search all of the major training agencies (more getting added) in one click. It will also correct for common data mistakes. Be sure to read the "how it works" section on the site.

DiveCerts.com | Diver Certification Record and Card Search
www.facebook.com/divecerts

It finds SOME of the certifications. It only saw my Underwater Photography specialty and Drysuit Diver specialty.....both PADI. It did not see my PADI OW, NAUI AOW or NAUI Nitrox. I guess I had better not lose those cards :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom