Lost Card - Unknown Agency

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks to all of you. Wow! I am surprised at the number of responses I got so quickly.
No we haven't dived much and I always rented the equipment with my card. I've tried using her maiden and her married names but haven't tried the middle. I was thinking that when we go on our trip we'll try to sit in on their resort course for a refresher.

I am confused about your plan. You are planning to "sit in" on a resort course for a refresher. Then what? Sitting in on a resort course will not get her a certification card. The only way she will be able to dive is if she does the entire resort course.

How far away is your trip? To where?

I am confused about your plan. You are planning to "sit in" on a resort course for a refresher. Then what? Sitting in on a resort course will not get her a certification card. The only way she will be able to dive is if she does the entire resort course.

Unless they do DSD dives.......it is also possible to find a shop or DM that would take them on guided dives under the guise of "What could go wrong? They say she is certified"

How far away is your trip? To where?

Jamaica in October

Thanks to all of you. Wow! I am surprised at the number of responses I got so quickly.
No we haven't dived much and I always rented the equipment with my card. I've tried using her maiden and her married names but haven't tried the middle. I was thinking that when we go on our trip we'll try to sit in on their resort course for a refresher.

Has anyone heard anything about https://copper.he.net/~bwana/orderrepcard.htm it looks like they can track down any agency, but not sure about giving out my credit card info.

Thanks again,

That is actually the website for Aquastrophics. For lots and lots of reasons, everybody here will strongly suggest NOT using them.

I also stand behind those saying to retake the entire OW course. A "refresher" or "resort course" after 25 plus years is not going to do the job. Your profile suggests that you might not have done much since you were certified either.

That's a scam- DON'T give that crook your credit card.

TC:
That's a scam- DON'T give that crook your credit card.

Amazing--he has been a fraud for years, offering bogus instruction and pretending other agencies will accept it and grant you a card, but I had no idea that he would stoop to this level of actually providing fake cards.

I was assuming we would find the card and do the sit in as the refresher. I'm checking with the nearest dive shop to see about a refresher course and if we can't find or get a replacement card I'll check about a OW course for her.

Amazing--he has been a fraud for years, offering bogus instruction and pretending other agencies will accept it and grant you a card, but I had no idea that he would stoop to this level of actually providing fake cards.

Really? Seems right down his alley to me...

---------- Post added August 29th, 2013 at 12:01 PM ----------

I, for one, would start sending emails to the big agencies of that day

You can also use the diver verification links on their websites (except for PADI). I do agree with the whole idea that she should certify again. A lot has changed since then. Anytime someone walks into my store and says "I don't know what certification I have or what the agency was, but trust me, I'm certified" (which happens), red flags start flying and they aren't dive flags.

I was assuming we would find the card and do the sit in as the refresher. I'm checking with the nearest dive shop to see about a refresher course and if we can't find or get a replacement card I'll check about a OW course for her.

The good thing is, she should do well with the OW course and she could do the check out dives in Jamaica if your resort will do that. Or at least you would possibly have that as an option.

My wife lost her Dive Card and we need to get it replaced. The problem is... We can't remember what organization she is certified through. She went through the course back in the late 80's and the dive shop she went through is no longer there. So basically, we know she is certified but we can't remember with who, where she took the class, the exact year she was certified, her name and address she used when she got certified. What can we do to find her in the system to replace her card?

Thanks,
live2ski

Do you get any dive magazines or requests to sign up?

Each of the big agencies has a magazine that they push like hell.

You can also use the diver verification links on their websites (except for PADI). I do agree with the whole idea that she should certify again. A lot has changed since then. Anytime someone walks into my store and says "I don't know what certification I have or what the agency was, but trust me, I'm certified" (which happens), red flags start flying and they aren't dive flags.

PADI actually has one as well, though somewhat indirect. Just follow the "diver replacement card" process at the bottom http://www.padi.com/scuba/applications/studentRCOL/default.aspx
All you need is a name (how many names did your wife have in the 80's?) and DOB - assuming she used her real one it should be easy to confirm if it was PADI. If it happens to be PADI, you're already most of the way done ordering a new card :)

Back
Top Bottom