Lost At Sea In Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scububa:
Am I the only one that wonders why they would allow taking this guy back out to Punta Sur to do an advanced dive after a pretty clear demonstration that he wasn't up to it?

I'd say they were in the best position to make a call for the advanced dive the next day.

I'd also say that since I wasnt there, I probably am in no position to try to second-guess them - especially as they are professionals, and presumably know how to dive safely in their area.

Cheers,
Vandit

I just got back from diving Cozumel, my fifth trip in a year. I dive with one outfit and they never had a problem finding us. Personally, I think your captais was useless. Sorry about the rough experienc. Am glad you are alright.

Well, I kind of left that door open with my comment :

It would be interesting to know what this guy did to become ready to do this dive the next day.

But, in the flavor of analyze, learn and prevent...and in reading thru the entire post and not commenting until seeing the post from the rep of the operator...I have no argument that they were in the best position...whether the best call was made is, IMHO, perhaps shaky conjecture. But, while it was not written about, maybe all the problem areas were known and addressed before the next dives.

vkalia:
I'd say they were in the best position to make a call for the advanced dive the next day.

I'd also say that since I wasnt there, I probably am in no position to try to second-guess them - especially as they are professionals, and presumably know how to dive safely in their area.

Cheers,
Vandit

This is total BS.

The divemaster took weight off of the divers belt, which was learned later.

Nobody missed the dive due to inexperience.. In fact the only inexperienced diver made the dive in the current and 140ft depth -- he did his check-out dives with blue bubbles just two days earlier.

Nobody seems to be able explain why the captain went the wrong way(ignorance). I could see someone losing track of bubbles- it happens all the time. I have been diving Cozumel regularly for 10 years- I have been drifting 10-15 minutes several times. This was a different type of situation. Even the dive master admitted that this type of event has only happened one other time in his dive career(he is one of the veterans) He was pissed too.

We only dove with them again, because they agreed to change Captains (one that wasnt fishing during dives or vomiting between dives).

All we wanted was an apology for the sunburns. Its Mexico, all could be fixed with a few laughs while sipping a cervesa! All Roberta wanted to due is dispute the actual time adrift which she claims is only 35 minutes (not counting the time on another companies boat).

If a she refuses take responsiblity for her crew- I think people should know about it.
Thats all I have to say.

jimmynaz:
This is total BS.

If you think you have the UPPER hand, after responses from the DiveOP, others that have dove with this OP, and your rather unbelievable Tale, you better get on this.

At this point the total BS, is on your end, and this is NOT a court of law. I'd say at this point your are guilty until proven innocent, and your tale seems rather unbelievable compared to that of the dive op, as well as other dive ops that were involved, and the TON of other posts, questions, and complete lack of answers on your part.

If this is all you have to say, I'd suggest a new ID on SB IF you want any type of credibility. SB has a VERY refreshing attitude on the net IMO. Rather than smearing a businesss (consumers are always right, yes, what a load) most here want the truth (or at least an explaination). What a concept, but this is my favorite board in part for that reason.

Well hello Jimmy,

We've wondered about you? Posting the original claims you made, as a first time poster, with no profile or other info, then not coming back - left us to wonder...?

Not being here to answer a few questions certainly left us in some doubt...?

At best, now - it's become "he said, she said"...

If a person goes on a drift dive, one needs to be okay with the fact that they could sit out there for 45 minutes. It does happen. Its not fun and you get worried. But the whole thing, drifting is a little sketchy, lets face it. That is part of the reason we do it. It is not Disneyland. It worries me the blame game when you are doing something thrilling because it is a little bit dangerous.

Hey, I want the captain to be there too, one reason I put the sausage up near the end of the dive!

Nobody missed the dive due to inexperience.. In fact the only inexperienced diver made the dive in the current and 140ft depth -- he did his check-out dives with blue bubbles just two days earlier.

Why would a group of experienced divers take a newbie (2 days since open water) down on a 140' drift dive? I can only assume that it was a basic certification, so again, why would any experienced diver allow that to happen? Not only is it irresponsible of the new diver but even more so of his 'experienced' dive friends, that should truly know better.
Perhaps Blue Bubble should have told you 'no' from the begining. The DM and the op made a bad decision in agreeing to any of this with a fresh fish but I certainly wouldn't blame them for the lack of good judgement on everyones part. Perhaps another dive op would not have taken you on your special request....mmmmm....then again they probably would have. It sounds like most of your beef is with the boat captain and you requested that he be replaced and he was....sounds like the dive op tried to do everything you wanted to do just to make you guys happy....apparently against their better judgement....perhaps you should take some responsibility for your own choices???

After spending the winter here, I relish the idea of some alone time adrift off the coast of Cozumel. Don't get your panties in such a bunch, it's not that far to Playa Del Carmen and the ferries come by every hour!

Back
Top Bottom