Lost At Sea In Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jimmynaz

New
Reaction score
I recently returned from Cozumel. We dove with Blue Bubbles also known as Ecodivers. The first day our Capitan took a while to find us drifting because he was too busy fishing. The second day we had to endure him vomiting from a hang-over between dives. The best, is the third day when he lost us and left us drifting at sea for 45 minutes. Finally after kicking 1.5 miles, we reached another dive boat. Our capitan arrived 15 minutes later after we called him on the radio.

A few lessons learned on this trip. 1)Buy the large tube signaling devices not the small one. 2) everyone should have a signaling device, not just the divemaster, 3)Dive with a shop that takes pride in their service and safety.

Blue Bubbles, never even offered an apology-- only a new capitan on the next day. They felt it was not a big deal.

ps: drifting in a 6 knot current for 45 minutes in 3000 feet of water is a big deal!!

Glad you made it back safely.

Sounds like a rough vacation.

Congratulations on surviving!

You're right about the SMB. Get a well-made big one. Carter and OMS both have nice 9 footers. And a strobe. And an air horn (the loud screechy one built for above water use, not the quieter one that does both).

jimmynaz:
A few lessons learned on this trip. 1)Buy the large tube signaling devices not the small one. 2) everyone should have a signaling device, not just the divemaster, 3)Dive with a shop that takes pride in their service and safety.
They may have been having a problem, but in their defense, it's really hard to track diver's bubbles. I'm impressed that they can do it as well as they do.

jimmynaz:
Blue Bubbles, never even offered an apology-- only a new capitan on the next day. They felt it was not a big deal.

ps: drifting in a 6 knot current for 45 minutes in 3000 feet of water is a big deal!!
Especially on a 29 mile long island.

Terry

Howdy and welcome to Scubaboard.com. Did mutiny ever cross your mind? :11:

I'm amazed that anyone would dive the ocean without signaling devices - in fact, we discussed this recently on New Divers forum, see link in my Signature below. You might even go to that thread and post your story there, too, where it could be seen by more newbies.

Glad you're okay and not a DAN report. Hope you'll find the board helpful in preventing more possible problems. :thumb:

Web Monkey:
They may have been having a problem, but in their defense, it's really hard to track diver's bubbles. I'm impressed that they can do it as well as they do.

Especially when you're puking overboard and fishing instead of paying attention to your job. I'd call that a bit of a problem. :)

Glad you made it out of that CF alive Jimmy. I appreciate your post. Always good to know who to avoid.

I'd bet you won't have this problem with this op.

http://www.bluextseadiving.com/

six knot current? You are lucky your reg wasn't free-flowing. That is fast. I thought most places called the dive off over three. Does any one know?

Many places I have dived, the captain takes his first break of the day when you splash for the first dive. In swift current, the bubble tracking is even tougher for the captain.

Glad you are okay! Might make you consider my method of tipping a little to the captain beforehand....just to be nice, of course.

Jeez.... That sucks. I got left behind once in Coz, but fortunately, the current was carrying me towards civiliization, and I was close enough to shore to make a swim for it if I would have needed to. Sorry you went through that. I know how anxious you must have been. Glad you made it back.

I can't be the only one with his BS meter pegged.

wow i dove with them 5 yrs ago and they were great, what a shame

I just have to ask: WHY DID YOU GO OUT THE SECOND DAY??????

I guess that question leads to: what were you thinking when you went out the THIRD day with the same outfit??????

SOunds like a bad deal all around but at some point you have to make good decisions for yourself. No way I would go out twice with a screwed up operation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom