Losing weight, trimming up?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I see atkins mentioned a couple of times but what about the south beach diet? What is the philosopy of that one? Is anybody trying it?

bridgediver:
I see atkins mentioned a couple of times but what about the south beach diet? What is the philosopy of that one? Is anybody trying it?
i just got the book, but haven't read it all... it seems to be VERY similar to Atkins, just reworded a lot of stuff to make it sound different. But also, realizing that most people don't have a clue about what Dr. Atkins actually says... they just know some general info and go with that....

Anyway... I think S. Beach is very similar, a bit more.... um, moderate in it's approach, but if you compare the fine print on both it seems they have more in common than not... I will let you know more when I finish the fine print. :)

i am throwing my two cents worth in here. i notice a few comments about the atkins diet(pro and con) and i have been on it for a year now. if you want to do the atkins diet get the book and READ it, all the way through befor you do anything, this is probably the most important part of the diet. it tells you how the diet affects your body and any bad things to watch out for. and if you do decide to do it, know that this or any other diet is a lifestyle change, as in forever.
the book has a list of foods that will help you get started, in this list is foods like, beef, pork, veal, fish, etc.. but there is also foods like,lettuce,romaine,arugla,endive,bok choy,alfalfa sprouts,asparagus,cabbage,chard,greens,broccoli,kale,brussel sprouts,etc.. what it doesnt list is potato chips, doritos, macdonalds, mashed potatos and milk gravey(my personal fav.),snickers, blue bell(us texans know that one), and so on.
i am not trying to rant but new studies are just being started on the long term health results of this style of eating. so as i see it there is no real way of knowing yet if it is harmful or beneficial. the following are the results that i have had:
march of 2003 i weighed 273, cholesterol was 183, i am 6'1", waist was 44", i had chronic knee and foot pain, gout in my knee.
may 2003, 235lbs., chol.152, almost no foot or knee pain.
sept 1 2003, 201lbs. 36 waist, chol. 134,no foot or knee pain, all my bllod work that i had done was in the excellent catagotry(hdl,ldl, triglycerides). as of this writing i am 203 and above waist measurements. my next check up is in may and i will post the results good or bad if you are interested.
this is not meant as a war of words, just my opinon and results. i think there is alot of misinformation about atkins, good and bad. i feel i have had great results, and while this may not work for you, something else might, the key on a diet is, a lifestyle change of your eating habits and quality of food.
better stop this is getting long. good diving all!

simbrooks:
Although i have been on and off doing some stuff for fitness in the last few years, i really want to get fitter, trim up and lose a little weight! Now starting to try out a regime of weights a few times a week (3 hopefully) and jogging most other days, with weekends for diving or other activities (biking and kayaking in particular) - the odd other exercise on other days (tennis, raquetball and swimming).

The reason i want to do this? I moved over here just over 2 years ago, since then i have sat behind my desk all day, driven to work/grocery store each day and had larger portions of food (due to economy in restaurants). All in all, that has led to me gaining about 30#, from previously about 220 to now around 250 - most of that seemed to come along in the first 6 months as my activity decreased. I am only 6'3" and am sure that my BMI is around 31, which clinically obese, with a waist of 36" (used to be 34"). What i used to do, cycle or walk to work or school from my house (about 2 miles for any of those single trips), playing football (soccer) or rugby all the time - all those have gone now.

So my plan is to lose some of those waistline inches, and drop between 20-30# back to where i used to be with weights and cardio through the week.

Who's with me in trying to do similiar stuff?

I gained 70 pounds in less then a year (I kid you not) due to an illness. All better now but the weight is much harder to get rid of. Im with ya. I wish I had someone to walk with every day.

So, haven't read through all the posts but here is a good thing to start. Won't help you lose weight but will help the trimming up.
I spend a lot of time behind the computer and i keep weights right beside my chair. Therefore, while doing things like searching SB or whatever i am doing arm curls or tricep extensions etc...so you can enjoy SB and firm up the arms at the same time.

I think everyone should give it a shot
Mike

Back
Top Bottom