Loreto and Mulege in Baja

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bmchugh

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm going down to Loreto and Mulege next week. I'll be driving my van and camping. Any recommendations for shore diving, camping, and anything else to recommend. I'll probably do 1 or 2 days of boat diving as well.

Thanks,
Brian

hello,
I have been looking for info on this area also. Not alot available but, I do know there are several dive shops in both locations. I hope you have a fun and safe trip and please let me know how it goes.
Best Regards,
Ray

Made the long drive down to Loreto from San Diego about 750 miles each way. Both Mulege and Loreto are nice quiet towns free from the Cancun like time share pushers. Mulege has a dive shop "Cortez Explorers". He was booked up with a class the time I was there and was not doing any trips apart from the class. He is a one man operation, if you want to dive Mulege you should probably make some prior arrangements or you could probably hire out a panga at El Burro Beach or the marina if you had a couple of divers. I did a dive at Playa El Burro from the shore, water was very warm above 85 degrees, visibility about 30 feet, but depth were limited to about 20 feet in the rocky area. It got deeper but was primarily sand. I did a dive at a random location on one of the nearby islands from a boat, vis was ok down to about 30 feet but then hit a thermocline, temp droped dramatically as did the visibility. Headed for shallower water, mostly sand but still had lots of fish life.

Loreto has two dive shops, Cormorant Dive shop did not have any trips booked so as a single diver was a no go. I did two days of Diving with the Dolphin Dive Shop. A very good operation, probably the best I have ever dove with. Small groups, great sites, guided but enough freedom from the group to see everything you wanted. Did 4 dives at the Coronado Island each at a different site. Good vis in excess of 60 feet in most places, saw dolphins on the boat ride out each day, lots of fish, black coral, ect. Water temps were in the mid 80's. Can't recommend Dolphin Dive Shop enough.

Pictures at my photobucket account:

bmchugh_photo/Loreto Mexico 2008 - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Hello,
Thanks for the info, i think Baja will be next trip after my quick trip to Vancouver Island. Great pics! and thanks again for the info.
Best Regards,
Ray

Back
Top Bottom