Loop cleaning — Steramine vs Virkon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LFMarm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all,

I have been using Steramine to clean my loop (and also other equipment like wetsuits at the end of a trip). In Europe I have found people using Virkon instead.

Their use is the same: dilute in water, let dry without rinsing.

Does anybody know pros and cons of the two?

I’ve been taught to disinfect for x minutes, then rinse few times, especially if it’s a counterlung. Don’t need to disinfect my own lungs :oops: .

Hi all,

I have been using Steramine to clean my loop (and also other equipment like wetsuits at the end of a trip). In Europe I have found people using Virkon instead.

Their use is the same: dilute in water, let dry without rinsing.

Does anybody know pros and cons of the two?

Virkon is broader spectrum but more expensive and harder on rubber parts
Steramine not quite as comprehensive but cheaper (so you might use it more regularly), and gentler on rubber bits.

People dont get sick when actually using either. They get sick from not sterilizing at all

I’ve been taught to disinfect for x minutes, then rinse few times, especially if it’s a counterlung. Don’t need to disinfect my own lungs :oops: .

Once they dry out, they won’t go in your lungs. I have been taught to not rinse neither with Steramine nor with Virkon.

Once they dry out, they won’t go in your lungs. I have been thought to not rinse neither with Steramine nor with Virkon.
And your moist breath on the residue? It tastes awful.

I rinse the loop, fill with a chemgene solution (others are available), leave it for 15 to 30 mins, empty out and rinse several times. Then hang it up to dry.

We used steremine for our covid cleaning protocols for shared equipment. 10 minutes soak basically kills everything. It is food safe, but we found blue crystal buildup during regulator service when we weren't rinsing after the steremine. Since we started rinsing after sanitizing, no problems.

I'll dunk counter lungs and loop hoses in steremine for a few minutes between dive days, and give it a longer soak at the end of a trip.

We used steremine for our covid cleaning protocols for shared equipment. 10 minutes soak basically kills everything. It is food safe, but we found blue crystal buildup during regulator service when we weren't rinsing after the steremine. Since we started rinsing after sanitizing, no problems.

I'll dunk counter lungs and loop hoses in steremine for a few minutes between dive days, and give it a longer soak at the end of a trip.
You are probably not diluting enough (using too much Steremine) if you are getting any visible build up.

I rinse out my loop hoses, bov, and counter lungs with fresh water then spray diluted steremine into them after a dive day and hang to dry. I don't rinse afterwards. I don't ever taste or see anything unusual.

You are probably not diluting enough (using too much Steremine) if you are getting any visible build up.

I rinse out my loop hoses, bov, and counter lungs with fresh water then spray diluted steremine into them after a dive day and hang to dry. I don't rinse afterwards. I don't ever taste or see anything unusual.
What's your ratio of Steramine tablets/volume of water?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom