Looney Birds on the Reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Kraken

He Who Glows in the Dark Waters (ADVISOR)
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I'd like to put together a dive trip to Gray's Reef in late May or early June.

Tenative plans would be to leave the Atl area about mid-day Friday, drive down to the St. Simons Island area, spend the night, dive Saturday and retun home at will.

I'll need 4 additional divers to set up the charter. The cost per diver will be approximately $125 (it's a long boat ride out and back).

If you're interested let me know what your preferred dates would be and I'll take it from there.

the K

You know I would be interested. Is it a deeper dive? Does one have to be AOW to dive Gray's Reef? Just asking for my brother's sake.

Jeremy

The bottom is about 65'.

It's generally a gentle drift dive.

AOW, from my experience, is not required.

Temps are in the mid to high 70's.

the K

The dive boat will leave out of Shelman's Bluff between Savannah and Jeckyll Island, GA.

It's about a 2-1/2 to 3 hour boat ride out and back. All divers gear up and are dropped at the same time. One diver is assigned to carry the buoy. The dives average about 50 to 65'.

Turtles, nurse sharks, reef squid, anemone, rays, tropicals.

It's a pretty good dive.

Count you in?

the K

could be a maybe. I'm a aow .Girlfriend only has her open water with only the course dive under her weight belt. Wonder if this would not be a good first real dive for her??.
What dates are you thinking??

I don't have any dates in mind yet.

Was just hoping someone would throw a date out.

How about June 17th with a back up date of the 24th?

the K

hmmmmmm that might work. We were thinking about going to PC and dive the jettie. I need to get her in the ocean for a dive before we go down to St. Lucia in July. Would grays reef be ok for her or would the beach dive in PC be better to break in a newbie,
She only has her course under her belt that she did in March

I'm up to a dive at Grey's reef. At this point I don't have a schedual for the summer, so I cant' say when is good, except that I have plans May 27/28 (USS Oriskany)

Laserdoc,

It would, in my opinion, be best if you could get her into a shallower first ocean dive.

The dive doesn't concern me, it's not much different from the last OW dive a student does.

What does concern me is the fact that we are bailing out into the ocean in the middle of nowhere. Some people find this very disconcerting if they can't make a reference to land in some way, an island, beaches, buildings in the distance, etc.

I've seen many new divers balk at a dive even in sight of land due to just the vast expanse of open water.

If this is no problem, then I think she would be just fine. But that is a decision she must make.

The dive is easy and very laid back.

the K

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom