Looney Birds on the Reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am so sorry that I am not able to make it to Sunday's dive due to the distance from Athens and working the next day (Monday). I am going to post a thread and a poll to see if anyone is still interested in diving Gray's Reef on the other weekends in July. Hope to see you guys! :)

Just an update on the Reef . . .

The water temperatures at the surface have been hovering around 80 degrees for the last couple of weeks.

They'll probably be in the low 80's at the time of our dive.

This should put the bottom temps somewhere in the mid 70's range.

Plan your thermal protection accordingly.

I'll check with Cpt. Terry a few days before the dive to see if we can get some more accurate bottom temps.

the K

That's where I got the temp info. Unfortunately it's the temp at the surface.

By the way, we'll need to prepare our own snacks and things for the dive.

I've made a tank sling so that taking the tanks to and from the boat will be more commodious. It's simply a piece of 2" webbing with rope on each end with loops to slip over the valves.

It's a pretty long walk down a long ramp.

the K

If I recall, someone mentioned a campsite that isn't too far from the launch, but I can't remember the name, nor who it was that suggested it. Any help?

Yeah, it's Fort McAllister.
Not too far from where we'll be launching.

the K

Update: Yukoneer and I will not be able to meet you guys at the restaurant this Friday. I will be driving after work on Friday from Athens while Yukoneer will be in FL for meetings. We both will meet up at my house late on Friday. We can't wait to dive in Gray's Reef - - it will be awesome! :)

Yeah, I didn't figure you guys would be able to make it to dinner.
But that's OK . . .

the K

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom