Looking to start diving in sidemount or doubles. Which one first?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My experience was quite the opposite. I did AN+DP+sidemount last month - started in BM doubles, and I literally couldn't manage the bloody things. I'm fully comfortable in single tank backmount and jacket BCD, but with a backplate, wing, manifolded pair of Al-11s on my back and a slung deco tank (either an Al-11 or an Al-5.5), I could swim around okay-ish, but trying to hover was an exercise in futility - a few seconds after stopping fin movements I would invariably find myself flipped over. I was like balancing on top of a greased-up beachball. Super frustrating, and my air consumption was ridiculous. Switched to sidemount after two days of skill dives and it was night and day - one pool session to get the harness adjusted and I had no trouble holding trim, hovering, swimming backwards, etc, and my air consumption normalized as well. I'm not touching backmount doubles ever again; any dive where I would need more than four tanks is going to wait until I progress to CCR.

You simply did not have your weight distributed like you needed it to be for BM doubles. You may not have had any actual lead on at all, but that does not change my statement. BM doubles has more weight up at the top of the tanks compared to single tank. You need more weight down low to counterbalance it. Otherwise, what happened to you is, well, exactly what happens.

In my experience, most rec divers come into their first attempt at diving doubles with very light, neutral or nearly so, fins. For a lot of people, with no lead at all, that is a guaranteed recipe for going head down (from the weight of the isolation manifold and the extra 1st stage at the very top of your rig).

When I teach Intro to Tech (which is basically teaching doubles), the first thing I do, before ANYTHING else is get students sorted out on their weighting and the distribution of their weight so that they can hover in trim without having to scull their fins. Sometimes, that means going so far as to getting fins that are more negative. I consider that an absolute MUST. If a student has to actively work to maintain flat trim, then it will make everything after that (e.g. valve shutdown drills) that much harder. I speak from experience. When I started my own Intro to Tech/AN/DP training, my instructor did not do what I just described. He did not take the very first part of the class just to get weight and weight distribution correct and all of us in the class really struggled with our trim as we learned how to do valve shutdowns - and even simpler stuff like donating a reg, etc..

It is a shame your AN/DP instructor (apparently) did not take the time to do that first. When you have the weight distributed properly, to have motionless, flat trim, then actually diving doubles really is pretty easy.

Sidemount does have the advantage there, in my opinion. Generally, it seems to me that once you side mount cylinders so that they are properly in line with your body and properly positioned, most SM rigs, combined with the fins that most people already have, results in the right weight distribution to give you easy, flat trim. I.e. it's more common to be "okay" right out of the box with SM. When I dive sidemount, I use neutral fins - same as for single tank and my CCR. But, with BM doubles, I use negative fins. All of this being in a wetsuit. In a drysuit, my feet are floaty, no matter what, so I always use very negative fins in a drysuit.

You simply did not have your weight distributed like you needed it to be for BM doubles. You may not have had any actual lead on at all, but that does not change my statement. BM doubles has more weight up at the top of the tanks compared to single tank. You need more weight down low to counterbalance it. Otherwise, what happened to you is, well, exactly what happens.

In my experience, most rec divers come into their first attempt at diving doubles with very light, neutral or nearly so, fins. For a lot of people, with no lead at all, that is a guaranteed recipe for going head down (from the weight of the isolation manifold and the extra 1st stage at the very top of your rig).

These are my fins (basically a jetfins knockoff, solid rubber and pretty heavy), and I did have a pair of weights mounted on the bottom of the tanks, inboard. I wasn't flipping over head first, although my feet did feel much lighter than I'm used to (which screwed up my backwards kick) - it was lateral balance that was giving me problems. As soon as I stopped forward motion, one of my sides would go down, air in the wing would rush to the other side and flip me over before I could blink.

These are my fins (basically a jetfins knockoff, solid rubber and pretty heavy), and I did have a pair of weights mounted on the bottom of the tanks, inboard. I wasn't flipping over head first, although my feet did feel much lighter than I'm used to (which screwed up my backwards kick) - it was lateral balance that was giving me problems. As soon as I stopped forward motion, one of my sides would go down, air in the wing would rush to the other side and flip me over before I could blink.

Ah. Well, that sounds like either, one, you just needed more practice. But, two days should have been plenty to get a handle on that. Or, two, the wing was overly large. Or, three, you just needed a little bit of help with some tips on how to balance and manage the air in your wing.

I have a student right now that went and bought a wing before he talked to me or started the class. The shop he want to sold him a dual bladder wing with 85# of lift. That made me so mad! The shop that did that KNOWS better than that. And it was one of the owners that did it. An owner who loves sidemount and hates BM doubles. But I digress...

With that giant wing, my student was having all kinds of issues with buoyancy and trim. A very experienced diver, who looked a total spastic newbie with that wing. After a couple of pool sessions trying to dive with that abomination, I loaned him an extra wing of mine. He's been using that, and a million times better in the water, since then.

Even if the wing is the right size, there is some technique involved in making sure the air in the wing is balanced, from side to side. If it's not, it will make you want to roll. Once you get it balanced, it is not hard to keep it balanced. And, you can even consciously shift air from one side to the other to counterbalance having more weight (e.g. from slung deco cylinders) on one side. That way, you can, for example, have 2 cylinders slung on the left (with none on the right), but still hold trim easily - just by shifting some of the air in the wing to that side.

Regardless, you went sidemount. If it's working for you, great! No need to go back and try doubles again at this point. It's just something I hate to see people get turned completely off to because of one bad experience that needn't have happened.

My experience with doubles wasn't that bad. Probably could have done with better instructor/equipment. But it was a monkey on my back. I could control the monkey, but it took work. Always had to stay on top of it. Not the freedom of a single backmount. Was loaned a sidemount rig and that was good. Ended up buying it. Had a few minor issues but I could see how they could be tuned out. Used that for a few years. Enjoyed it. Super easy to bounce back and forth to a single tank setup. I have learned there are better doubles but I don't really care anymore. Rebreather is a different animal.

Ah. Well, that sounds like either, one, you just needed more practice. But, two days should have been plenty to get a handle on that. Or, two, the wing was overly large. Or, three, you just needed a little bit of help with some tips on how to balance and manage the air in your wing.

More practice definitely would've helped - I could feel myself getting better with each dive, albeit slowly - but I was pressed for time; as it is, I got out of the Philippines the day before they locked down Metro Manila. Still, my original point stands - getting into sidemount, for me, was a snap when contrasted to the struggle of getting into BM doubles. Now I have a Nomad LS (bought from a board member here); waiting for the quarantines to end so that I can get it into water and start figuring it out (it's got significant differences from the Aquamundo harness I trained on).

I couldn't thank everyone enough for their knowledge in helping to guide me in my future diving plans. I believe that starting in twins ( lota fun lazy weekend drift dives) and jumping into sidemount earlierish than the proposed 6 months between is doable. I, and everyone have been reminded that Mr. Murphy is constantly waiting to do his thing. I'll use this time to collect gear and most importantly study the available knowledge out there to better my chances at being a successful future tech diver. I have reached out to my future instructor and will be bouncing ideas off him until we train together. Hope everyone the best in these crazy times.

I will also say that once this world wide "furlough" is over, anyone in central Florida that want/needs to dive let me know. My school is online for the summer now, so my schedule is "flexible". Thanks for the help, ill be posting in gear/training threads now as if I have a question, as well as asking my own questions that arise. Once again, THANK YOU.

I will also say that once this world wide "furlough" is over, anyone in central Florida that want/needs to dive let me know
I may be interested. I'm moving to that area in August and just finished my sidemount course, so will likely be wanting to practice.

Back
Top Bottom