Looking to start diving in sidemount or doubles. Which one first?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SWiggs

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am currently planning my next step in my diving training/adventure and have been tossing which set up to start with and it has caused a kind of a lock up in a decision. I am hoping by providing some insight into my situation that some constructive guidance will help in my decision making process. Here it goes:

Level-PADI rescue with 100 dives (give or take a small few)
Location-Central Florida(springs 1.5hr, drift dive central 2-2.5hrs)
Current BC-Diverite transpac
Tanks- LP85 steels-(I will probably keep 85s regardless what system I start with)
Suit- Will be staying wet for another year. (3mm and 5mm)
Regs- Deep6, currently on a 84"and 22"
Computer- Perdix AI
Future plans(Ideal)- Decide on either system and dive it exclusively for roughly 6 months, then begin system not chosen 1st. Will do TDI intro to tech and/or training in new gear configuration(s). I would grab up all the required gear that I don't have over the next few months and be ready by end of summer to put the time in for the training. I don't see the need to rush any of this.

No physical limitations that would make one "easier" over the other. I have read countless threads, stories, and watched numerous videos. I have gear ideas for each system and have read countless pages on them, hence why I am in decision paralysis. I do plan on getting into technical diving down the road, too many variables to set a firm time frame.

Thank you for the help.

It depends. Sorry.

I dive side. Its fun in the water. Harder on land setting up.
Back doubles is more straight forward.
(Not sorry I went side though. I have both, but both with tiny AL40/LP50 tanks.)

I had reservations about boat diving. I did a boat fun dive, with my tiny tanks. Half the boat was photographers. Passing up sidemount tanks post dive was the norm for the boat and no problem. Not much different than passing up the cameras. Maybe not for rough seas though, but there are drop lines for that also. Boarding a boat with no tanks is rather easy. Having both in your toolkit is ideal.

If you missed it, another thread on it: Going to twins, best way?

While I love sidemount and it is my configuration of choice, I'd suggest sticking with twinsets for a bit. At least take UTD Essentials/GUE fundies before you start sidemount.

It’s a tough one as I dive both often.....BUT.......I think I’d go with sidemount for the following reasons....
SM is far more flexible (tanks, rigging, travel etc)
Cost, SM is cheaper (debatable).
Long term goals, most likely you’ll want sidemount in the future.
If you learn independent doubles (sidemount) then manifolded doubles are a breeze.

Twinset. I tried SM, but found it too fussy and fidgety. Didn't work the boat diving I do.

I was certified in a BP/W, and that was just so much better than SM.

I have seen 50 dives in various environments/conditions mentioned as a suggested starting point before advancing to say beginning cave or AN/DP, is that sound about right? I am about to get a large white board and start making a flow chart. I can only do so much school work and workouts during this mess. Am I thinking clearly that the 85s would be a good starting point for either system? I understand that they are well liked in sidemount however I see people mention larger tanks for twinsets.

Minimum 25 before taking Intro to Tech/Fundies or the like.

Highly recommended to do ITT/Fundies before going onto the beginning tech classes.

Minimum 25 before taking Intro to Tech/Fundies or the like.

Highly recommended to do ITT/Fundies before going onto the beginning tech classes.

Most certainly. I was thinking along the lines of 50 dives in new gear configuration before starting overhead training.

I'm speaking from experience. I got 20-25 quarry dives in my doubles before ITT in August. I did probably another 20-30. I'm 2/3 done with with classroom time for my AN/DP/Helitrox class. Just waiting for the local quarry to open - hopefully early May now (a month later than usual) so instructor and I can get in the water (we did a pool session over the winter and I did pool time on my own).

Stupid plague.

I'm speaking from experience. I got 20-25 quarry dives in my doubles before ITT in August. I did probably another 20-30. I'm 2/3 done with with classroom time for my AN/DP/Helitrox class. Just waiting for the local quarry to open - hopefully early May now (a month later than usual) so instructor and I can get in the water (we did a pool session over the winter and I did pool time on my own).

Stupid plague.

My ITT is postponed till further notice at the moment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom