Looking to go Camping & Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PiercingDoctor

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hey,

Does anyone know of any place that i can camp and go diving in the same place? A place to go camping, diving and collecting fossils would be ideal. Anyone have any ideas? I want to be withing 200 miles of Sarasota, FL. Thanks.

Two places come to mind when you say "camp" and "dive". Both are near Gainsville, Ginnie Springs and Devils Den.

Neither of these spots are really locations for collecting fossils.

There are some camping areas near Venice Beach which would put you closer to diving the beaches where you could sharks teeth hunt. You'll have to drive to dive.

Parks

Oscar Scherer State Park is another park near Sarasota, but the same thing, drive to dive.

Blue Spring and Alexander Spring in the Ocala National Forest are also places you can camp/dive.

Ginnie Springs is a GREAT place to find fossils. You have to get out onto the river. A buddy and I went in on the farthest point up river on the GS property and floated down to Devils springs, then another trip to Ginnie. I am not a fossil diver but he IS. He found a large shark tooth, about the size of your palm and several horse teeth!
Also this area was frequented by indians and you never know what they may have left behind!

Unfortunately, collecting paleo artifacts or anything man-made greater than 50 yrs old in FL is illegal, even if it is an isolated find.

This is true from what I have been able to learn (relating to artifacts). You can collect sharks teeth and other fossils though. Sometimes you need a permit, other times you do not. Here is a link to get a permit:

FLMNH - Vertebrate Paleontology - Florida Fossil Permits

I checked out the fossil permit site and discovererd a few things.

1. A permit is required for collection of fossils on land owned or leased by the state of Florida(anything on private property is up for grabs).

2. Fossils of sharks teeth and marine invertebrtes are excluded from the permit(up for grabs).

3. a fossil collecting permit, from the UF Natrual History Museum, seems very easy to get and is only $5/year. All they ask of you is to send them a list of any vertebrate fossils you have found that year. You still get to keep the fossils you find.

*It did not mention man made artifact. Does anyone have a link to a website with rules on man made artifact?

I have never been fossil diving. I think I might get a permit and give it a try.

As far as I have been able to determine artifacts (man made) can not be collected on state land, I have no idea about private land.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom