Looking to find good dive shops for Maui and Kona

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Weir_NE

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My husband and I are also going on the 7 day NCL Hawaii cruise at the end of May. However, we decided to get all our diving in before the cruise and do non-diving shore excursions while on the cruise.

Actually, I came on the boards to ask for some good dive shops for Maui and Kona. Our dive portion of the trip will include 5 days in Maui and 4 days in Kona before the cruise. In Maui, we are staying in Lahiana and definitely want to go to Cathedrals as one of the dive trips per a friend's recommendation. On Kona, we would like to do the night dive with the Manta Rays. Other than that, we are flexible. We are AOW and Nitrox certified, although these will be our first nitrox dives. We are bringing our own gear, except tanks and weights.

I've read the Maui dive shops (thanks for the bump) and had a recommendation from a friend for B&B also. I am specifically looking for a shop that goes to Cathedrals I, II, and to Molokini crater.

B&B dives Molokini but doesn't go to the Cathedrals. You can check out Extended Horizons, Lahaina Divers, and Maui Dive Shop for the Cathedrals. There may be more but I don't know. Lahaina Divers also dives Molokini backwall (2 dives back to back) on one day. For you they may be the best operator since you are up in Lahaina. They do discount if you do multiple trips with them. I'd give them a call if your interested in using them.

Sean

As for Kona, Big Island Divers is a terrific operation.

After doing the crossing to Lanai in one of the 12-pack Munson dive boats, I can honestly say I will only go to Lanai with Lahaina Divers in their 46' Newton boat. The trade off is that they have AL72 tanks and the dives are geared toward a more beginning diver, but usually a quick conversation with the DM and/or captain and they leave us alone to bring up the rear of the dive group during the dives. We've always managed to get 45 minute dives at Lanai with Lahaina Divers since they'll let us poke around under the boat after the guided portion.

The Cathedrals are definitely worth doing, we look forward to it each time we're on Maui. I've always heard good things about Extended Horizons for Lanai trips, so they're definitely a good option for you to look into as well.

I'd highly recommend Hawaiian Rafting Adventures / Dive Maui for their Lanai trip. The 30' RIB makes that trip smooth-as-can-be.

They will put you in 80 cu ft tanks, and practice a similar system as the Molokini operators as far as taking the quick-on-air divers past the mooring and saying "there's the boat, do your safety stop" and carrying on with the rest of the group... right up until there's only one diver left with the guide.

If you're good on air, your dives should exceed 50-55 minutes at least.

Ultimately, I'd strongly recommend against trying to book all your diving with the same operator. The best operators for Lanai (Hawaiian Rafting and Extended Horizons) don't go to Molokini. Conversely, the best operators for Molokini (Maui Diamond, Mike Severns, B&B) don't go to Lanai.

I'd highly recommend Hawaiian Rafting Adventures / Dive Maui for their Lanai trip. The 30' RIB makes that trip smooth-as-can-be.
Have you ever been in a RIB when it's not glassy out? Smooth isn't how I'd describe it.

Another great option for Kona is Jack's Diving Locker. We took a family "mini-vacation" (drove over to Kona to get away from the Hilo rain for a few days :) ) and really enjoyed diving with Jack's. We did three days of 2-tank boat dives, one of which was the night manta ray dive.

The night we dove was awesome, lots of mantas, probably in my Top-3 most memorable dives ever, and maybe in the Top-20 Lifetime experiences ever! Videos don't do it justice. If there is any way to arrange the night manta ray dive while you are in Kona, do it!

Enjoy your trip!

Have you ever been in a RIB when it's not glassy out? Smooth isn't how I'd describe it.
In the case of the channel and vessel in question, I'd say smooth as possible is accurate.

I've ridden that channel in similar conditions on the MDS boat Maka Koa, the Expeditions Ferry (the one that goes to Lanai), Extended Horizons and Hawaiian Rafting. The most gentle / smoothest was the Hawaiian Rafting trips.

The biggest thing is that they all go up the wave, but when they come back down, most of them collide (for lack of a better description) with the next wave. The HRA boat ("Pele's RAIV") met the next wave with a bit of a cushion thanks to the hull design.

You can check out Extended Horizons, Lahaina Divers, and Maui Dive Shop for the Cathedrals. There may be more but I don't know. Sean

With adding Hawaiian rafting adventures to the operators that go to Lanai that would make 4 dive shops that have trips there. Am I missing any others?

Only 9 days till my honeymoon to Hawaii!

Johnny

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom