Looking to buy my first fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

staurox

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I recently got into diving and I want to be certified soon, but I really lack equipment.
That said, I'm looking into it and the first thing I want to buy is a pair of fins.
The two pairs that caught my attention were the Cressi pro light fins and the c4 storm fins.
Both are around the same price range.
What are the differences between them and are there any other pairs I should look into?
Note that I don't have previous experience with decent fins.

You may want to wait with the buying of any equipment until you are certified. Why the rush?

The fins you pointed to are different: one seems to be open heel, the other full foot. The first requires to wear booties and are more common for many scuba diving scenarios that require you to walk some distance with scuba gear, some of it on rocks, stones etc. and of course the booties have an advantage in cold water. The full foot fins you go barefooted, they are usually lighter, cheaper but with all the disadvantages of being bare footed.

Most scuba classes should provide you with all the gear needed.

Thank you for your response, the reason I want to buy fins already is because I want to have the freedom of using them whenever I feel like going to the sea and dive in more shallow water, before being certified. I don't know the exact date that I will be certified, so having some prior experience would really benefit me.

So should I buy the open heel ones or the full foot ones as a beginner? Do scuba classes let you keep the equipment?

In addition, I'd like to ask how much booties would cost me for the open heel ones and if buying them with the pro light fins would benefit me more than the full foot, longer fins in the long run.

I do plan on continuing with diving, but my budget is quite tight at the moment.

Buy your mask first. That’s your true “passport” to the underwater world. Fins can come later in the schedule of purchases.

Thank you for your response, the reason I want to buy fins already is because I want to have the freedom of using them whenever I feel like going to the sea and dive in more shallow water, before being certified. I don't know the exact date that I will be certified, so having some prior experience would really benefit me.
Are you saying you want to start diving before your certification or use them for snorkeling?

Buy your mask first. That’s your true “passport” to the underwater world. Fins can come later in the schedule of purchases.
Can you recommend me one?

No, you need to go to a reputable shop with a good selection and try them on. Get a snokel with the mask so you can get comfortable with breathing and purging.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom