Looking into buying a new scuba setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

corysi

Reaction score
i am wondering if anyone out there could guide me in the right direction? i have two packages i am looking at the first includes: a sherwood tortuga cqr bcd, sherwood blizzard regulator, sherwood standard octopus and awisdom II dive computer. the second is a mares dragon mrs plus bcd, a mares prestige 32ntt regulatorwith matching octopus and a mares puck wrist computer(3 guage console). can anyone out there help me with this choice because i am new to this and would appreciate some feed back positive or negative. thanks in advance!

BTW welcome to SB!!!

It would be very helpful if you post the following information:
- what kind of diving you do: warm water vs. cold, salt vs. fresh
- how often do you dive
- what kid of suit do you use and how much lead you wear
- do you dive air or also nitrox

etc, etc ... give as much information as you can, otherwise you are going to get the same
quality answer as your question was. Scuba is application oriented activity. Whatever
you are going to use depends on the environment you dive.

If your LDS is trying to push you into particular package hold on. Spend some time browsing posts on SB and see what people use. Buying your equipment without any prior experience may be very costly. I would estimate that it takes around 50-60 dives to find out what works and what does not work for you.

Last edited:
i am doing my open water now, i am going to be swimming primarily cold water(great lakes) with a dry suit. as of right now i will not be using nitrox but i am not sure about the future?

This is much better. I am not going to go with any particular brand. Just from my personal
experience:

1. BCD.
Backplate with appropriate wing - the best with dry suit (warm 300-400 underwear).
Your rig needs to be balanced and it will determine the lift of the wing. There are a lot
of posts on SB about this topic.

2. Regulator
Sealed diaphragm.

3. Computer.
Wrist mounted, nitrox ready with bottom timer mode.

4. Gauge.
Brass and glass SPG

5. Compass
Wrist mounted

Search for the options I listed. Do your homework prior to any purchases.

I would say buy Scubapro stuff. that product can be service about anywhere with out having problems. plus most dive shop can service them at there shop instead of stend them to a authorized service place. Scubapro gives a free computer if you buy reg and bcd. hope that helps

i am wondering if anyone out there could guide me in the right direction? i have two packages i am looking at the first includes: a sherwood tortuga cqr bcd, sherwood blizzard regulator, sherwood standard octopus and awisdom II dive computer. the second is a mares dragon mrs plus bcd, a mares prestige 32ntt regulatorwith matching octopus and a mares puck wrist computer(3 guage console). can anyone out there help me with this choice because i am new to this and would appreciate some feed back positive or negative. thanks in advance!

Package deals are junk.

You would be contributing to the good and the welfare of your local scuba store, with your hard-earned cash. That is good for them.

But if what you really want is good scuba gear, then you need to buy each piece individually, and make sure it is specifically suited to your own needs.

I would say buy Scubapro stuff. that product can be service about anywhere with out having problems. plus most dive shop can service them at there shop instead of stend them to a authorized service place. Scubapro gives a free computer if you buy reg and bcd. hope that helps

ScubaPro makes great regulators and wetsuits.

But their B/Cs are junk, and mostly intended for brand new beginners.

i am doing my open water now, i am going to be swimming primarily cold water(great lakes) with a dry suit. as of right now i will not be using nitrox but i am not sure about the future?

Nitrox is very nice for diving deeper than 50 ft.

After your basic open water course is finished, it makes sense to enroll right away into an AOW (advanced open water) course which includes nitrox.

would i be better off going with a mares proton 32? and what do you think about the puck computer? should i go with an air integrated computer?

Back
Top Bottom