Looking for wet suit advice for Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

7mm in March for us. I've never been too hot but I have been too cold and I don't like it and my air consumption sucks. Sometimes we get made fun of but I'm warm and we don't have much of built in insulation besides.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Was in Coz all last week...81-83 degree waters... I dive a 2.5mm fullsuit..you can always flush to cool down... can't add heat you don't have. I'd suggest a 3mm full suit. Warm, protection, and travels well....jmo. Ymmv.

Bubs

Tough one. Last trip in May we had our warm Pinnacle 3mm and I was cold! Wished I had had my 5mm. Also, how many dives are you planning?
I can dive the Puget Sound in a 7/8 mil wet suit but only for a couple of dives. Most of our diving here is done in the fall, winter and spring so cold temps are the norm. I like my dry suit for diving up here so that I can do more than a couple of dives and stay warm. My wife stays pretty warm as well when we dive. She is wondering if diving a 5 mil will cause her to over heat. As for me, I work outside all year long so cold is not a huge issue and my wife runs pretty warm.

I have been there in February, March, April, August and November. I have never used anything but a 3Ml full. Occasionally I will wear a beanie. Temps I saw on my computer were all 76 or Higher in February March and April. I don't really get cold doing 2 dives/day with the occasional night dive. I know a couple of people that wear a 5 Ml but they are the same ones that were wearing a 5 ml in July and August. It depends on you. If you are going to buy a suit and are nervous about getting cold the 5 ml might be your best choice. I took a 5 ml to the Exumas in April with 72* water and was comfortable in that.

I can dive the Puget Sound in a 7/8 mil wet suit but only for a couple of dives. Most of our diving here is done in the fall, winter and spring so cold temps are the norm. I like my dry suit for diving up here so that I can do more than a couple of dives and stay warm. My wife stays pretty warm as well when we dive. She is wondering if diving a 5 mil will cause her to over heat. As for me, I work outside all year long so cold is not a huge issue and my wife runs pretty warm.
Drift diving is a little different from working outside in the cold. When you're working outside, you're working. The trick with drift diving is to do as little work as possible and let the current take you where it will. Also, you're fully submerged when you're diving. I'm guessing when you work outside, you're not naked.

Also, in April, I doubt you'll see water temps over 80. Those happen in the summer and fall, but spring is the tail end of the winter cooling and you'll most likely experience upper 70s.

Finally, it's hard to overkill with a wetsuit. There's usually enough water flow to provide natural cooling unless it's a semi-dry or very tight fitting. In the worst case, one can always admit water by stretching the suit under the neck, the same way one would flush the suit after peeing.

I personally use a full 3mm suit. A shorty might keep most of you warm, but the full coverage will protect you better against hydroids and fire corals in case you're going down low to take a pic or look at something small. The "floating hydroids" another poster mentioned are probably siphonophores and they can deliver a little sting as well. For many, it's not the initial sting that's bothersome, more so the itching rash that often develops after. And, in the unlikely but possibly case you get pushed into live coral, a thicker suit with full coverage can protect against coral cuts. Finally, while you probably won't experience one without seeing it first, lionfish are present in the local waters and scorpionfish lie camouflaged on the reefs. A 3mm suit may not provide much protection against the spines, but you probably have a better chance of avoiding injury than with bare skin alone.

I really don't think anyone can definitively answer this question for anyone else.

I wear a Lycra skin in January. My wife wears a 3mm full suit in September. Our divemaster friend wears a 3mm full suit AND a hooded vest nearly all the time. Everyone has different temperature tolerance.

The part on which most will agree is that something that offers lots of contact coverage for stinging things is a good idea.

Most people use a full 3 MM suit. Most rental suits are the same and again for most people this works OK. The big question is 'on average do you feel warmer or colder than the divers you normally dive with ?' also important is how fanatical are you when diving, do you plan on 4 long dives a day (5 hours +). If you are typically 'cold blooded' or a divaholic you might consider a 5 MM or a 3MM, with a 3MM core warmer, if in doubt I would lean towards a core warmer. If you are planning on renting a 5MM let your dive op know ahead of time so that they can arrange to have it available.

My unrestrained suggestion is a full Lavacore suit. Lavacore is an updated version of Polartec. Lavacore is similar to a skin, easy to get on and off but provides the equivalent of a 2-3 mil neoprene suit. Asdvantages: 1. Easy on and off; 2. No buoyancy change with depth; 3. Take off about 4 lbs of lead; 4. Easy to add a 3 mil shorty to be really warm; 5. Not very expensive; 6. Works very well under dry suits or heavy neoprene in cold water.

I have used Polartec then Lavacore since 1997 and rarely add a 3 mil shorty (which most Cozumel dive shops have) in the dead of winter.

Many suppliers offer them ( I use Oceanic) and I very rarely get enthused about any dive product--but for Cozumel diving, this is one I do so enthusiastically.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Bienvenidos - Aldora Divers | Only the best of Cozumel

It's been suggested above but I'd reinforce the hood mentions. I have a 1.5 mil hood, and it makes a big difference for me. Any suit and a hood seems/is much warmer than a suit without. You might want to make a hood part of your neoprene plan.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom