Looking for wet suit advice for Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whichever way you go, bring a jacket or at least a windbreaker for the boat. It can make the difference between how you feel between dive #1 & #2. And for the ride home. Windchill. My DM always brings & wears a knit beanie for the ride home.

FWIW: I wear a 3mm shortie in summer. In winter I layer: a 2.5 mm fullsuit with a zip-up vest. I would bring the full in April and then decide if I needed the vest. I always wear my beanie summer & winter - it keeps the hair out of my face and does add in warmth.

Have a great trip!

I have the Fourth Element equivalent of Lavacore. It's too thin for me but when I was using it under a 3mm (still freezing) after a few days it gets STINKY. I used stink the sink but eventually put it in the washing machine with a little bleach (a no-no I know). I can't imagine taking it on a LOB or anywhere else that does not have a washing machine ( we usually rent a house).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I have the Fourth Element equivalent of Lavacore. It's too thin for me but when I was using it under a 3mm (still freezing) after a few days it gets STINKY. I used stink the sink but eventually put it in the washing machine with a little bleach (a no-no I know). I can't imagine taking it on a LOB or anywhere else that does not have a washing machine ( we usually rent a house).
Have you tried pet urine remover? I always take some. Or vinegar.

we dive Coz in April/May, yearly.

I used to just use a .5mil 'skin' for years and thought I was fine. I would put on a short sleeve rash shirt for the second dive for a little extra warmth,

then we bought 3mil suits and started wearing them. Although I thought I was fine in the .5, i am much more comfortable in the 3mil & after a few days of diving, i start getting chilled easier, so i usually end up donning my rash shirt for the second dive.

My unrestrained suggestion is a full Lavacore suit. Lavacore is an updated version of Polartec. Lavacore is similar to a skin, easy to get on and off but provides the equivalent of a 2-3 mil neoprene suit. Asdvantages: 1. Easy on and off; 2. No buoyancy change with depth; 3. Take off about 4 lbs of lead; 4. Easy to add a 3 mil shorty to be really warm; 5. Not very expensive; 6. Works very well under dry suits or heavy neoprene in cold water.

I have used Polartec then Lavacore since 1997 and rarely add a 3 mil shorty (which most Cozumel dive shops have) in the dead of winter.

Many suppliers offer them ( I use Oceanic) and I very rarely get enthused about any dive product--but for Cozumel diving, this is one I do so enthusiastically.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Bienvenidos - Aldora Divers | Only the best of Cozumel

Lowdrag, I took a full Lavacore last year after always diving a 3 mil. I had the 3 mil also and never used it. I was occasionally cool, but not too cold. I'm covering my bases this year with a 1.5 mil shorty with a hood to add if things are cold. With the Lavacore you need a windbreaker to keep you warm on the boat if it isn't sunny. If you can do two dives in a wetsuit up in our area you will be fine with a 3 mil full and ok with a full Lavacore alone.

I've taken too much protection on trips, and I have taken too little on some. Better to have too much, but - if you don't have much other use for wetsuits, renting there to wear over whatever you do buy should work.

I get cold easily so I bring 2 wetsuits for a two tank dive. I take the wet wetsuit off after the first dive and put a coat on to keep warm between dives. It's nice ( for me anyway) to put the dry wetsuit on for the 2nd dive. I still use my old polar fleece wetsuits and love them, in the winter months I add a 3mil vest. I love my fourth element " farmer Jane" that and pullover, mine never gets stinky. I always wear a beanie year round, mostly for hair management.
My husband is happy with just a skin or his lavacore.

Last week we dove in 3mm wetsuits. I found myself pulling the neck a few times to get cool water into it, I was quite warm.
However, on some of the driftier dives where we didn't swim at all, I got a bit chilly after 45 minutes of no movement. The water was 82 degrees.

I think even if I went in the summer I'd still go 3 mm. You can always flush it with water if you are warm.

And I did have something sting me on my neck during a descent (just a small red spot when I got out of the water, but hurt the entire dive)- wasn't near anything so it was definitely floating, so even if you decide to go lighter, I'd get a fully body skin for more coverage.

I wear 3 mil every dive regardless of time of year. I have been with others that use more and less. One in particular wears the orange long sleeve shirt, while the DM is bundled up in a 7 mil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WOW!!! Thanks everyone for responding to my post. I know that warmth vs cold is a very personal thing and I really appreciate everyone passing on their experiences while in Coz. I am really looking forward to diving there and seeing the cool sites that they have. When we get there our plan is to hit the Mega for bottled water to keep in our room then grab a tank and weights and get our buoyancy and trim dialed in. We will probably do another shore dive or two that day if we can. We both want to be ready for our check out dive on the boat and not be the pair that holds everyone up.

Tough one. Last trip in May we had our warm Pinnacle 3mm and I was cold! Wished I had had my 5mm. Also, how many dives are you planning?

Well...I know we will be doing at the very least a 2 tank boat dive. I would really like to get in as many dives as we can fit in. Along with diving new locations I am looking to really hone my diving skills while there. More dives = more experience kind of thing.

Drift diving is a little different from working outside in the cold. When you're working outside, you're working. The trick with drift diving is to do as little work as possible and let the current take you where it will. Also, you're fully submerged when you're diving. I'm guessing when you work outside, you're not naked.

Didn't think of that...very true. And no...I am definitely not naked. I would hate to scare anyone...LOL!!!

Great post everyone...THANKS!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom