Looking for wet suit advice for Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

. We both want to be ready for our check out dive on the boat and not be the pair that holds everyone up.

Our you sure your going to have to do a "check out dive". If you tell them you dove the day before from shore, and you know your weighting, I would think that you would just drop in with the group and dive? As far as suits for me, I have been to Cozumel in January and February at 78F according to my computer doing 2-4 dives every day and I where my ScubaPro 2/3 full suit, sometimes I will put on my beanie. I would switch over to my 5mm for these trips, however I like the way my 2/3 fits better, and I really like having less lead on me when possible.

Seems like we are 2 degrees colder this year from last year this time. Lavacore was fine last year. But this year the wife is wearing her 2/1 shorty underneath this week. Seems to be working. I am good until the 50 minute mark. Dives today were 65 & 78. Burrrr.

Water 65 F now in Cozumel ?
I am going next week. I planned to take my full 5mm, but it will be very cold for long dives if it is 65 F.
If it real water temperature at 100 ft, I need to review my language and find space for dry suit.
Or 65 and 78 were foot and not F ?

The air temp is 65, the water temp is still +/-80, even at 100 feet.

Just depends on the person. I've never needed anything other than a dive skin for Cozumel. I do wear a 3/2, but that's for buoyancy because of my SS backplate and Aldoras 120cf steel tanks.

Sent from an old fashioned 300 baud acoustic modem by whistling into the handset. Really.

Water 65 F now in Cozumel ?
I am going next week. I planned to take my full 5mm, but it will be very cold for long dives if it is 65 F.
If it real water temperature at 100 ft, I need to review my language and find space for dry suit.
Or 65 and 78 were foot and not F ?
I'm not sure, but if you are referring to this post...
Seems like we are 2 degrees colder this year from last year this time. Lavacore was fine last year. But this year the wife is wearing her 2/1 shorty underneath this week. Seems to be working. I am good until the 50 minute mark. Dives today were 65 & 78. Burrrr.
I think he meant 65 minute & 78 minute dives.

I doubt that Coz water ever gets close to 65F.

Thank you, so dry suit will wait for January for Red see where is 72.

Interesting how different people populate in mind missing information.
I thought that 65 it is water temperature or ft, dmoore19 thinks that it is air temperature and DandyDon thinks that it is minutes :)

From language weight prospective I prefer to take my 1mm full, but I am afraid that in this case (Cozumel dive mostly no moving) my wife will not be needed to return insured home loan :)

The water temp in April will probably be about 79-81 deg F. Personally, I would be diving a full 3 mm and take a hood along in case I get cold as the week progresses. Always better to be a bit warm than getting chilled.

Ok then, what is your question?

From experience and looking at weatherunderground.com I know that the air temp range for the low to be around 65 F. From experience in diving in Cozumel I know the water temperature is +/- 80 F. I also know there is very little difference in temp from 5 feet and 100 feet from my experience.

Hope that clears it up for you.

I also know that during my trips to Cozumel I haven't required anything more than a 3 mil full wetsuit. I do know there are some people that wear a dry suit while diving there. I have never seen anybody doing that.

If you look at the post that DandyDon referenced, you will find that comment to be in reference to the time for the dives, not the temperature. The post also says the temperature was 2 degrees colder than last year at the same time. He also says he is good until the 50 minute mark. I would therefore assume he was referencing the dive times rather than the depths or temperature.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Fireworkswi

Thank you, so dry suit will wait for January for Red see where is 72.

Interesting how different people populate in mind missing information.
I thought that 65 it is water temperature or ft, dmoore19 thinks that it is air temperature and DandyDon thinks that it is minutes :)

Our you sure your going to have to do a "check out dive". If you tell them you dove the day before from shore, and you know your weighting, I would think that you would just drop in with the group and dive? As far as suits for me, I have been to Cozumel in January and February at 78F according to my computer doing 2-4 dives every day and I where my ScubaPro 2/3 full suit, sometimes I will put on my beanie. I would switch over to my 5mm for these trips, however I like the way my 2/3 fits better, and I really like having less lead on me when possible.

I have no idea what to expect in regards to anything. I have heard that dive ops want to do check out dives with newer divers. My wife has about 16 dives and I have 32 so I would think they would want to check us out.

Back
Top Bottom