Looking for the perfect shore dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The only bad thing that I have to say about Coco View is that I have only been there three times!

It needs to be more.

Coco View is relaxed about solo diving. No scuba police. Sign the papers, and you are responsible for yourself. This is the place to maximize your underwater time. Boat dives, drop off dives, and shore diving to your heart's content. A cool wreck, and walls easy to dive from shore! Night dives and dawn shore dives, whenever you please. Super casual vibe. Friendly happy people. I just returned from there, and still sorting through almost 900 photos.

Last edited:
Hi:

Love Bonaire! That said, you may well eventually want to go somewhere else. From what I've seen on the forum, these places come to mind...

1.) Curacao - Bigger than Bonaire, longer drives between sites, more sandy beaches, I think someone way back when indicated longer swim outs (all from what I'm told; haven't been). Solo diving is not against the law, but some operators may forbid it (I imagine that's an issue with diving the house reef?).

-----Curacao vs. Bonaire.
-----Curacao 1st Timer Trip Report.
-----Place to Stay in Curacao.
-----Curacao Trip with Teenagers in June.

2.) St. Croix - One of the U.S. Virgin Islands, seems to be a slightly lesser known destination, popular for boat diving and some shore diving. My only 2 dives there were by boat on a cruise ship stop.

-----Discussion about St. Croix as a dive destination.
-----Best Boast & Shore Diving Locations.
-----Overall Impressions from First Visit to St. Croix.

3.) Cayman Brac is occasionally mentioned regarding shore diving. Vincent54 posted his experience with that and reported one way to do it was grab tanks from Reef Divers or Scuba Shack (at the latter he paid $10 U.S. air, $12 nitrox/tank, tanks by the dozen). He noted it more difficult than Bonaire; if there’s wind very little of Brac is calm. If it’s calm, he heads to northeastern spots, but didn’t recommend some end-of-island sites when surge is up (can get unpredictable currents), and the southeast is also advanced (lots of surge, hard to get in & out). From my inquiry with a Grand Cayman dive op., there's not actually a law against solo diving in the Cayman Islands, but over time on this forum I've seen there's a perception it's forbidden, so evidently it's at least not well-enabled. I don't know how much of Vincent's Brac diving is solo, if any, but I don't recall him mentioning a buddy.

Richard.

Finding cheap tickets to Bonaire is a ART FORM... I use Google Flights and Matrix - ITA Software by Google To find flights.. I'm flying out of Boston to Bonaire through Newark round trip for $539.00 For a 31 day trip for October and My wife got a non-stop round trip out of Houston for 2 weeeks in October for $575.00... Both on United... Prices change all the time... I check everyday and when I find a good fare... I pull the trigger... if you wait... The fare is gone...

And as far as Bonaire goes... It just doesn't get more laid back then there... I don't think there is a scuba cop on the Island..:wink::giggle::clapping::cheers:

Jim...

Victoria, BC. Stay at the Surf hotel, walk across the street to Ogden Point dive shop, dive the breakwater, and eat at the cafe while you decompress. It's not a resort, but everything is a few steps away. Don't forget your drysuit!

Everyone here has already mentioned my top choices.....CCV and Bonaire.
I have nothing to add but the fact I have VIDEOS and PHOTOS and trip reports... so click on the website link under my signature.

http://www.rnrscuba.net/photos.html

reports

I always dive with a buddy in Brac. However, sometimes they don't show up at the predetermined dive site and the dive goes on. No big deal.

I don't normally talk much and can't remember ever telling anyone at the dive shops where or with whom I dive with. Sign the tanks out and dive.

Most of Brac is accessible from shore. Rough weather will determine your choice of sites. Have fun

The thing that makes Bonaire so special is it's all about shore diving, With Boat diving if you want... Where most other places are Boat diving spots that you can do some shore diving.. If you are all about doing your own thing on your own timeline ....There is no other place like Bonaire...

Well there are marked dive spots, Nothing is stopping you from just pulling over and trying a " NEW SPOT "... One other thing that I love is the lack of divers in the water with you.. And , If the parking lot looks full ( For me more than 4 trucks ) you just pick a different spot...

Jim....

Back
Top Bottom