Looking for suggestion of choosing wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

colin.wen

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am looking for a suitable wetsuit for diving around 20 degree C water in Australia.
I have a cheap 5 mm semi dry, but I dont think its a proper semi dry.
DiveImports.com - WS01 - Sherwood - Titanium 5mm Semi Dry Wetsuit (Powered by CubeCart)
I wear that for one year, and now it can not make me warm in a 23 degree water these days.
Because I study my postgraduate in Australia about marine bio, I have to stay in water for 1-2 hours per dive, 2-3 dives per day.
Therefore I really need a warm and good wetsuit to dive.
I have looked around then got some wetsuit from the website leisure pro
Due to my limited budget, I dont have too many choice.
These I found are below.
Pinnacle Fusion 5/4mm Merino Lined Jumpsuit Mens, Black/Marine Blue
Bare 7mm Arctic Full Mens Suit,
Bare 5/4 Velocity Progressive Stretch Full, Men's
Bare 7/6 Velocity Progressive Stretch Full Men's, Blue

The price of these wetsuit are pretty close, but I dont know if a 7mm normal one or a 5mm semi dry will warmer?
Because all these are factory size, I wonder if the stretch one will more fit to me, and make me warmer?

Because I will have my next field trip around September, it will be cooler then.
I really need to order as soon as possible. otherwise I will be chilly again at that moment.
Any suggestion or advice will be appreciate.

Colin

If you are a normal shape and have put on a wetsuit before I think that the super stretchy stuff is unnecessary, not as warm and less durable than the standard neoprene.
I really feel the cold too....my current wetsuit is the 5/4 Fusion with their hooded vest underneath....best/warmest suit I've ever used.

Bare Arctic Combo... 7mm Full with a 7mm over-shorty (w/intrinsic hood)... 14 mm on my core at the beginning and end of the year when I need it most, and I can shed the over-shorty and jus' go with the Full for the warmer months...

Quality, Versatility, Economical ... can pick one up for under $300 (in fact I jus' went an looked, looks like its goin' for $275 right now... BARE 7MM ARCTIC FULL SUIT COMBO reviews and discounts, Bare)

Last edited:
Bare Arctic Combo... 7mm Full with a 7mm over-shorty (w/intrinsic hood)... 14 mm on my core at the beginning and end of the year when I need it most, and I can shed the over-shorty and jus' go with the Full for the warmer months...

Quality, Versatility, Economical ... can pick one up for under $300 (in fact I jus' went an looked, looks like its goin' for $275 right now... BARE 7MM ARCTIC FULL SUIT COMBO reviews and discounts, Bare)

I'll second that combo.

For 23 C you may even do very well with the 5/4 bare Velocity and the similar step-in vest or even the chicken vest. Then again for your duration and frequency stay with the Arctic combo.

More of sorting out the right stuff can be read here.

Pete

Thanks everyone's advice.
The current water temp in the place I dive is around 22-23.
And I will come to that place again in Sep, the temp will drop to 19-20.
I am kind of standard body sharp, but I am Taiwanese.
So compare to the Western standard, I am not strong enough on top.
Therefore, for the past wetsuit I got, its always a bit loose on the top, that's why I am considering to get a stretch one.
For most of the suggestion about 7mm combo, thanks for that.
But I am worry if it will be too thick then I have to carry lots of weight?

Over all for all the advice, maybe a 5mm full suit and a 5mm vest with hood or chichken vest will be a good choice.
I will search around the website for the on sale price.
Thanks again.

Colin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom