Looking for SP6498 or AA-6351 Bad Alloy Cylinders --- Must be cracked or ruptured

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

richerso

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi folks! Richerso here from Texas. Listen carefully. I have a very specific request if anyone can help me.

But first a little background:
I am not looking to reopen the debate about the "bad" alloy aluminum cylinders. Other threads cover that debate just fine. However, I do want to do my own little research project. For what it is worth, I have read/heard the references to "Sustained Load Cracking" (SLC).

Here is my angle though. After researching the topic a bit, after perusing the PHMSA.gov web site, and after applying my own knowledge in metallurgy, here is what i think (not looking for a debate here). If you would like to debate, there are other threads on this forum that are happy to debate the virtues/deficiencies of that "bad" aluminum.

I have seen some pictures of some ruptured cylinders. The ruptured cylinders appear to be a classic brittle failure mode. Brittle failure indicates an improper heat treatment of the material. No need to invoke SLC. Besides, a search of the American Society of Materials database, formerly American Society of Metals, and a search of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers database, the authority for pressure vessel design practices, I cannot find any reference in the literature to any phenomenon called Sustained Load Cracking. I don't think SLC exists. I do however believe that maybe, just maybe there is a lot or two or three of 6351 cylinders out there that received a bad heat treatment, and thus are susceptible to brittle fractures.

What do I want?
If anyone has a SP6498, or AA-6351 aluminum cylinder, a cylinder with a VERIFIED crack in the neck threads or bona fide ruptured tank, I want a 2in x 2in x 2in material sample excised from that tank. I want to conduct an X-ray fluorescence alloy analysis; and I want to perform a metallographic grain survey on the failed tank. I want to know. Did those tanks receive a bad heat treatment? If you can help me obtain a material sample of a FAILED bad aluminum tank, private message me.

Why do you think you know more about SLC than Luxfer? They say:

What is sustained-load cracking?​

• SLC is a metallurgical phenomenon that occasionally develops in cylinders made of 6351 aluminum alloy, as well as in other types of pressure vessels and structural components under stress for sustained periods of time.
  • SLC has occurred in cylinders manufactured by various companies, including Luxfer.
  • Cylinders that have been mechanically damaged, over-filled or abused are more susceptible to SLC.
  • SLC is not a manufacturing defect; it is a phenomenon inherent in the metal itself.

Show me a bona fide academic article.... not an advertising/reputation article from a manufacturer.

Why are you so afraid of the academic investigation? I just need a material sample. The rest is science. Not hearsay. Not opinion. Not a "belief" in the advertising literature. I just a need a sample. Science shouldn't scare you.

Show me a bona fide academic article.... not an advertising/reputation article from a manufacturer.

Why are you so afraid of the academic investigation? I just need a material sample. The rest is science. Not hearsay. Not opinion. Not a "belief" in the advertising literature. I just a need a sample. Science shouldn't scare you.
I presume you've looked at the articles in various journals about SLC, including those that predate the first observation in 6351 scuba cylinders? I presume you have found that SLC is a term that is at least 50 years old? I'm sorry it is a new term for you. For example:

I'm very interested in what you find out. "Sustained load" is an interesting term. I have a 6351 cylinder that has been under "Sustained load" almost continuously since 1988 or so. I seldom use it and it is always full. Seems to me the ones that fail have been under a variable load.

Besides, a search of the American Society of Materials database, formerly American Society of Metals, and a search of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers database, the authority for pressure vessel design practices, I cannot find any reference in the literature to any phenomenon called Sustained Load Cracking. I don't think SLC exists. I do however believe that maybe, just maybe there is a lot or two or three of 6351 cylinders out there that received a bad heat treatment, and thus are susceptible to brittle fractures.
While it is always good to question science you have already biased yourself. If you can not find any peer reviewed article then you are not doing a proper literature search.

You might check with the people that wrote these pages in order to track down samples:

You might check with the people that wrote these pages in order to track down samples:

This is superb.
(pic taken from here Cylinders & Valves - Scuba Engineer)

At least he should have made a threaded insert.
Captura de pantalla (251).png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom