Looking for South Florida wreck divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tienuts

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Wanted to know if anyone in South Florida would be interested in a double wreck charter.

We are looking for divers to "double dip" the wreck of the Captain Dan on a sunday. To do this, we will need to book a whole boat. (or most of one) I am trying to get an idea of how many people would be interested in doing this so we can book a boat. Looking to keep prices in the $50 range (without tanks or gear)

Divers would need to be:
- Advanced Open water minimum (must have wreck cert if planning to penetrate)
- Nitrox certifed
- Diving with computers, not tables

Basically looking to tie up to the wreck, do one dive, have a 45 or so surface interval, then a second dive on the same wreck. I dont know about you guys, but reef diving gets boring. This is a great chance for those looking to build up wreck diving experience. If this is a popular idea, we will try to expand it to other area wrecks.

For those of you unfamiliar, the Captain Dan is a 175' former US Coast Guard buoy tender. It starts at a depth of 75' and goes to 111' to the sand. It is just off the coast of Pompano Beach, FL. This is a great wreck for penetrating, marine life, and is known as one of the best wrecks around south Florida.

Post here, or email me at tienuts@hotmail.com if interested, or for details.

Capt. Dan is pretty cool. What date are you looking at? My work schedual sucks. I'm working this weekend but keep me in mind. I'm advanced nitrox and also love wrecks.
Later... Marc

Going to try for sundays. We want to see if there is enough intrest. I'm hoping if we get enought people, we could do this twice a month maybe

And thats about how many days off I get!!
I'll watch for your posts!
PS... Nice to meet ya!
Later... Marc

hmm.. I guess I gotta do nitrox as well.

I am very intrested, but at the moment I don't hold nitrox.
And I won't be for at least another month, as I am doing my rescue diver course next week

Just keep up updated then I will probably sign up as soon as I pass the requirements :p

Just curious as to why you would have to book an entire boat to dive a (relatively) shallow wreck? My buddy and I were talking about a mini trip to the Lauderdale area sometime in Sept.

TheRedHead:
Just curious as to why you would have to book an entire boat to dive a (relatively) shallow wreck? My buddy and I were talking about a mini trip to the Lauderdale area sometime in Sept.
Most of the dive charters here are reluctant to leave the boat tied up to the same wreck, and let people do multiple dives on it on the same trip. For some reason, they have it in their mind that wreck divers want to dive a reef. I also suspect, they want to prevent any icidents of DCS, and with the typical style of wreck followed by shallow reef, it is pretty hard to get bent. (Although I'm sure some people have managed to do so.)

The Capt Dan is a great wreck for a wreck specialty class. The ideal wreck class would be to dive the same wreck 3-4 times, since the idea is to map a portion of it, and gradually work twords a simple penetration dive. With the current method of wreck/reef diving, it would take 4 days. This way it can be done in half the time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom