Looking for some Orlando dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I never had a problem. You can always Spelunk down the cavern! You can sit on ledges on the side most of the way down.

The best method for descent is by finger pulls down the side. Look for the "Cereal bowl" ledge (@ 40 ft)... my favorite.

DON'T BRING ANY LIGHTS. These are illegal UNLESS you are cavern or cave certified. $500.00 dollar fine and confiscation of your dive gear if you get caught.

Ok, maybe i am the only one who doesnt use that, i just go head down and slowly make my way down (no need for kicking down), then spread out prone and start to move back up - kind of like skydiving (when isnt scuba somewhat like that?). The ledges are spaced roughly every 4-5 ft in the main area and can be used to improve your descent for sure, i prefer the non-contact way swooping from one to the next using the lack of flow to give you momentum to overcome the upward flow when you drop over the edge of the ledge. Although i know it is a legitimate method of propulsion i try not to touch the sides - there is already enough erosion (man-made) in the spring - i will warn you that you havent seen so much graffitti in a site outside of downtown, it will be shocking to see the reckless, thoughtless people who have etched their names, etc in the walls.

When i first did this dive i was using my regular fresh water weight and found it a little light, now i add 2# and am completely there hardly even touch my wing inflator until i am down at the bottom and out of the flow a bit, as the flow and my body angle can take care of my descent speed.

I really want to get my cavern cert and possibly intro too and get on down there beyond the light zone - its coming, just not soon enough, will set that up this fall, maybe sept if i can.

The first time i went i didnt even think about being light with regular weighting, nor was i warned, so that was a pain and the dive was shortened as i struggled to get down. So i reckon 2-4# on top of fresh water weighting should be just fine for most to really get in control. The only time you lose that flow force against you is on those ledges and right in close where the cavern turns with a flatter bottom at the sign - also those little rooms too, there i use my BC a little more.

I don't recommend weighting for salt... another 2 pounds should suffice. I always do a dive briefing for those who dive with me. It includes how to dive the site as well as cool things to look for. It also includes signals that I use as well as air sharing techniques.

Isnt quite what i meant, not saying you need all the extra weight required for most people salt water diving. I suggested adding 2-4# (2 for someone who has done this spring before, 4 for those who havent) to fresh weighting, but you come down 5-6# from salt to fresh and Murph and Baitedstorm havent dove fresh before (lucky enough to live on the coast), so just suggesting a starting weight of about 2# less than salt, maybe going to 4# less than salt for the second dive.

I think that given the flow conditions you want a "little" extra on top of your fresh weighting so that you can control your ascent easier than hanging off the ledges or "reverse-swooping" back up ledges. I find 2# generally is enough to cover most things i want to do in that spring though.

ok...... now I'm gettting a little nervous...., diving deep and in the wrecks, with the sharks, even with the carzy spearfishing morons and newbies don't make me this nervous.... I have pictured in my mind a dark small hole full of cold water and graffiti covered walls with a current pushing me up...I think I need to run out to Barnes & Noble and find a "picture book" on spring diving...

*I'm going to be in a hole without a light* :0

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom