looking for some good shore diving locations in the gulf shores-pc area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

offroadr1

Contributor
Reaction score
Just looking for recommendations for some good shore diving location in or within a hour drive of gulf shores. I don't have any ocean experience, but my dive buddy does so I'm looking for something fairly easy and low current to ease into learning shore entries and hopefully seeing something interesting. Thanks for any help.

Joey

Hi Joey,

Head to Ft. Pickens in Pensacola beach after the they get the road opened back up. Look for the 'Pensacola bay entrance' tide station on www.saltwatertides.com for dive planning. Try to get in water a couple of hours before high tide.

As with any new site, I recommend that you meet up with somebody who's been there before: it's the best way to learn the site.

There is some shore diving in Gulf Shores: the whiskey, the paddelwheeler, etc. but it's usual to have lower vis: which can make it difficult to find a spot 150 yards off the beach when you really don't know where you're going. Perdido Pass is also diveable, but I don't recommend that inexperienced divers head out there on their own: it's surprisingly easy to get yourself in a bind.

You can also check out the Gulf Coast Dive Society Facebook page: it gets tons of traffic. A lot of the traffic is centered around shore diving in our area, and getting newer folks out there.

Carl

https://www.facebook.com/groups/gcds1/

Back
Top Bottom