Looking for Snowflake Morays on Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pclark2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
First, I'm an odd guy. Where is the best place to look for snowflake moray eels on Maui? I was there 10 years ago and loved these little guys. I love all eels (my wife calls me crazy for thinking they are cute) but I especially love this particular species. I even had one in an aquarium back in college. I was very sad on the Big Island when I did not see any. So now that I am going to be back on Maui in January, I am trying to figure out how to maximize the chances of seeing them. I remember seeing them on shore dives from the south part of the island near what was then the Maui Prince hotel. Would shore dives anywhere be equally likely? Or shore snorkeling? Or is the southern part better than the western part? I'm assuming I won't see them at the crater.

Thank you for any advice! As I said at the start, I'm an odd guy. I just love this species :)

The snowflake morays are a shallow water species that I have found to be a little more active in the afternoon in my opinion. While I live on the island of Kauai, I travel to Maui at least once a year and lived there for 3 years some time ago. I was not uncommon to find them at Makena Landing in south Maui for sure. They are bottom dwelling and like rubble / low lying areas. They are on the shy side but we see them all the time out in the open in the afternoon at Koloa Landing here on Kauai. Send a couple messages to the companies on the the island that specialize in shore diving in the areas you will be staying and I bet you'll have some good "current" knowledge of where you may find them.
Good Luck my friend,
A

Makena Landing is right by where I remember seeing them 10 years ago, so sounds like that area is where to check. I'll check with shore diving companies that operate in that area.

Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom