Looking for slightly older divers in thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WhiteRhino

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just arrived in Koh Tao today and did my first dive tonight. I am an American male in the 40s and this place appears like a scene from Spring Break. I have dived elsewhere and never noticed this before. I am just getting old or did I go to the wrong place?

I am not even looking to socialize in particular---it just feels really awkward. Are there dive companies that cater to older divers or can I move to a different part of the island or a nearby island?

Thanks for any advise!

I think we are similar in age and can't say I ever really noticed that before. Koh Tao is relatively cheap and can attract a younger crowd. It is also the season to dive the Gulf this time of year, so it should be busy. Look around the island for some more older crusty instructors. I know a few that work there so it should not be too hard :) You could be Samui based but then you will farther from the dive sites. Some of the youngsters really know there stuff, so it should not be too bad.

Yeah, it's a very young crowd on Tao. Samui may indeed be more mature in general (or it may not, given it's proximity to Pha Ngang and the famous beach raves there), but I can't say whether the dive boats attract an older clientele or not. Limbo here on the board would be a good source for that kind of information.

Certainly Phuket has a more mature average age of divers. I would offer to take you diving from Phuket, but I'm in the US (in Tucson visiting family) for the next couple of weeks.

Thanks for any advise!

Hey WhiteRhino!

My experience over the past three months diving in Thailand is there are two main types of dive centers (this is an oversimplification, of course). The "zero to hero" or IDC training "Go Pro" factories tend to cater to younger student divers in training as they follow their dream to travel the world, dive and teach as an instructor. These centers are very good for the younger "Go Pro" crowd, but are not really optimal for the "lets have fun and dive as a paying customer" crowd.

Having said that, I have enjoyed many days of diving with a leading IDC training center and had some great dives with much younger divers. In fact, many of the younger in-training divers are really eager to treat you like a "customer" and enjoy practicing their "Go Pro" skills. Some are really amazingly impressive at such a young age, especially the hard working, serious about diving, students and interns. Naturally, there are also some not-so-great 'zero-to-hero-type' divers, but they can be interesting as well.

My experience on comfort and diving is that age is not a factor as much as personality and interpersonal skills. For example, one of my favorite dive buddies is a young 20 something intern who is both fun and a joy to dive with. We did a rippin' 50 drift dive a few weeks ago and had a great time; and she is around 30 years younger (I joke she is my daughter-diver). She did a great job "watching my back" as we ripped along the reef into the deeper abyss. Age is just a number, as they say.

To provide some contrast, there was an "older" late thirties (closer to your age), "Go Pro" wannabe on the boat one day who did not have the required number of dives to start his instructor training before the scheduled date. His plan was to surface during each dive long enough for his dive computer to record another dive, so he would "qualify" for the next "Go Pro" level. Naturally, I quietly did not have much respect for that guy, who was nearly 40 (your age).

My apologies for the cliche, but my experience diving is that "age is just a number" and there are some very nice people to interact with at all ages; and age is not really the main factor for comfort level and professionalism. Then again, I am not really looking to hang out with anyone after most days of diving (go home, relax and sleep!).

Of course, some of my best dive buddies in Thailand are closer to my own age group, 40s and 50s, but I have truly had come great experiences with much younger divers and will continue to have these experiences in the future. That is one of the great things about diving, isn't it? Diving transcends age and other (superficial) social differences, or so it seems to me.

You asked for some advice. My advice, if you are really uncomfortable with younger divers and/or their lifestyle, is to stay away from "Go Pro" dive centers where there are a lot of interns and trainees, and focus on dive centers that cater more to "fun divers" and "customers" (perhaps resort customers), which divers generally are "older" people on vacation or local retired or semi-retired expats.

As I mentioned (hopefully without too much confusion), the business model for the "Go Pro" internship (often zero-to-hero) dive centers is very different than the "fun resort diver customer" DCs; and I find that often in the "Go Pro" centers, the customer is more of a "training object" for the interns to practice their customer service skills (this can be both good and bad, depending on the person and the day of course). It is really quite interesting that the interns are paying to work and learn; and the customers who are not interns are paying to be "customers" so the interns and DM trainees have "customers" to practice on.

It has been many years since I have been on Koh Tao, but I look forward to checking out the diving scene there in the not very distant future. Personally, I like both (over generalized) types of dive centers. I have learned quite a lot from divers of all ages over the past few months, and some of my most cherished memories are with younger divers who I would never have known if it was not for diving together.

Thank you for your responses.

I am happy to dive with 18-21 year olds--I just want a mix of people.

I have been at Bans and am switching to Big Blue tomorrow morning.

The diving today was very very murky. They say the water temp is 8 degrees F above normal.

I am thinking of moving on in several days, but to where? Bali, Sipidan, Philippines. I am looking for great diving that is not too expensive, with a more mixed age group and not too touristy. I have a month, having just trekking in Nepal for 20 days.

Thanks again all!

Hey Rhino!

The phrase "great diving" is just about as subjective of a phrase there is. If you are very specific, you will get better recommendations.

Your SB profile give little hint of your certification level or interests. For some, as you know, any day diving away from work is a "great dive", for others, a "great dive" might be slow currents and lots of photo ops on a clear, slow moving reef; for another it could be a diving expedition preparing a tech dive to search a new shipwreck; and for yet another, it could be a thrilling drift dive; and for another diver it might be crystal clear water and big sharks and rays; and for another, taking a class with a great instructor and upgrading skills is a "great dive" .... so please be quite specific in your interests and certifications and folks here can make recommendations.

Do you like wreck diving? What are your certifications? Deep? Drift? Do you most like slow currents and great visibility? Calm surface conditions? Rough conditions, rippin' currents and a challenge?

Everyone's idea of a "great dive" is so different, isn't it? What is yours?

I don't think you can go wrong with either Bali or Sipadan (am not sure about the weather in the Philippines right now).

August is busy for the Sipadan resorts so book ahead. Have a look at Borneo Divers, the cheaper option of Seaventures Dive Platform will probably have a younger crowd.

Lots of options for Bali and its surrounding sites depending on what you are looking for. Dive Terminal Resort in Tulamben is a top quality resort right on the beach and just a couple of hundred meters from Liberty Wreck.

Let us know what you would love to find underwater :glad:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom