Looking for Scubapro to provide some information on the Hydros Pro BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jd950

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I have a new Scubapro Hyrdos I will be using soon. I have read a number of posts on ScubaBoard about the monoprene ripping and that Scubapro has told people there are two versions of shoulder straps, with the newer version being reinforced, that the BC should not be stored on a hanger and that when attached to a tank it should never be lifted by the shoulder straps.

Could someone from Scubapro perhaps elaborate on these points? There is nothing in the care instructions included with the BC that says any of that. If there are indeed two versions of the shoulder strap, could someone explain how a user can determine which version they have so that a replacement could be arranged if necessary. I asked my dealer about this and he did not know anything about it. I would like to avoid being in the middle of a liveaboard trip somewhere and having to deal with torn shoulder straps, if possible.

Thank you.

Talk to your dealer. I never hold by the straps with a tank. There is a strong handle for that. I do hang mine on a large BC hanger for storage.

Thanks for the response. I talked to dealer. He cold not really answer my questions. I agree using the handle is better, but when boat dudes are hauling a BC up into the boat post-dive, sometimes it is hard to get them to do things the "right" way. Also, in those situations it is very likely they are going to want to use two arms to haul up the BCD, and that pretty much rules out the handle. That is just how those things go. I am just trying to assess how fragile the thing really is and whether there is an improved shoulder strap I need to get. I was hoping I could get some comment from Scubapro on that and the other points.

I have a new Scubapro Hyrdos I will be using soon. I have read a number of posts on ScubaBoard about the monoprene ripping and that Scubapro has told people there are two versions of shoulder straps, with the newer version being reinforced, that the BC should not be stored on a hanger and that when attached to a tank it should never be lifted by the shoulder straps.

Could someone from Scubapro perhaps elaborate on these points? There is nothing in the care instructions included with the BC that says any of that. If there are indeed two versions of the shoulder strap, could someone explain how a user can determine which version they have so that a replacement could be arranged if necessary. I asked my dealer about this and he did not know anything about it. I would like to avoid being in the middle of a liveaboard trip somewhere and having to deal with torn shoulder straps, if possible.

Thank you.

I know a few people with this BC and a few points you brought up have me a little o_O. While I understand storing the BC is more long term, the idea of not storing it on a hanger has me questioning hanging it to dry, especially the cumulative time over the life of the BC. Also, when attached to the tank it should never be lifted by the shoulder straps. Fair enough....except that when you put on the BC and are diving, you are walking to and from the dinghy or entry point where you do your giant stride, or to the surf for a shore dive. You are still essentially supporting the tank weight with those shoulder straps. I don't know if I've ever seen anyone pick up a BC with a tank attached by the straps but the normal use and wear and tear would have me worried about the straps.

I don’t own a Hydros, but have looked at them in the dive shop and know people who own them.
What kind of BC can you not put any weight or stress on the shoulder straps? I’ve never heard of such a thing. Seems to me like a severe design and materials flaw.
What were they thinking, especially at that price?

I'd look for answers elsewhere as it doesn't appear that anyone from Scubapro still monitors this forum.

Look in your back right trim pocket. There is a tag in there with the serial number. Show that to your dealer. They should call Scubapro Tech Services who will tell them whether you need new straps. I’ve got over 200 dives on mine with no issues and I don’t mollycoddle mine in any way.

that when attached to a tank it should never be lifted by the shoulder straps.
when you are wearing the bc, you're holding it by the straps with a tank attached. how does this make sense?

Really, I am just trying to get some information. I will get the serial number and date of Mfr from the tag and try the dealer again and see if he will call Scubapro. I just want to know about the strength and durability of the monoprene straps in this thing and whether I should be getting replacement shoulder straps.

Whether the BC is always lifted correctly or not or how often that might happen, if at all, is really not the issue. I have never worried about his with other BCs but I have now seen comments that suggest this could be an issue with this Hydros. I do not think it is unreasonable to try and get a statement from SP about these things, either to dispel the stories or to warn customers of a potential problem.

Supposedly, the purpose of the manufacturer forums is the ability for a consumer to ask questions of the the manufacturer. The manufacturer does not have to have one of these forums, but if they do, they should monitor and respond. I have used thes MFR forums for that purpose and gotten responses that I otherwise could not have gotten from the company. Its not like I can just call Scubapro and speak to a tech person and get solid answers over the phone.

If a Mfr is not going to monitor and respond, then there is no point to having a Mfr forum for that Mfr..

Really, I am just trying to get some information. I will get the serial number and date of Mfr from the tag and try the dealer again and see if he will call Scubapro. I just want to know about the strength and durability of the monoprene straps in this thing and whether I should be getting replacement shoulder straps.

Whether the BC is always lifted correctly or not or how often that might happen, if at all, is really not the issue. I have never worried about his with other BCs but I have now seen comments that suggest this could be an issue with this Hydros. I do not think it is unreasonable to try and get a statement from SP about these things, either to dispel the stories or to warn customers of a potential problem.

Supposedly, the purpose of the manufacturer forums is the ability for a consumer to ask questions of the the manufacturer. The manufacturer does not have to have one of these forums, but if they do, they should monitor and respond. I have used thes MFR forums for that purpose and gotten responses that I otherwise could not have gotten from the company. Its not like I can just call Scubapro and speak to a tech person and get solid answers over the phone.

If a Mfr is not going to monitor and respond, then there is no point to having a Mfr forum for that Mfr..

KATESCUBAPRO was last seen: Oct 24, 2014

If a bcd might fail from it's own weight on a hanger, I'd want to know if it's one I'm diving.. I sometimes wear a bcd with the tank attached on dry land. (Backroll etc)

Back
Top Bottom