Looking for reel suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd also recommend the Dive Rite Classic Safety Reel. It has long been a standard for divers and is well proven. Also the price is right.
I'll second that, I've got two. Good reels, nothing to complain about and they're cheap.

I am looking to go with a group to do megalodon tooth diving in NC and was told by the person organizing the trip that a reel is required for the dive to clip onto the anchor line. Currently I only have a finger spool that I occasionally use for an SMB and was looking for recommendations on a reel. The LDS was recommending a $200 reel for this purpose and while I am sure its a great reel, it sounds a bit excessive for my use. I would like something that is a good value. I dont see myself getting into tech or cave diving. This is about the extent of the use for the reel.
Aanderson81,
Did you ever decide on a reel/ do the Meg ledge dive? I was literally about to post the exact same message until I came across this thread. I'm looking for a reel that won't nest on me while looking for teeth. I've never used one before so I don't know what is necessary and not.

Also did you feel like you had enough line?

Hi @Haleyeah

I use a Manta Jr on my drift flag in SE Florida. It is difficult, but not impossible, to bird's nest. I also have a Dive Rite Classic, it is much easier to tangle up due to the free spool.

Good diving, Craig

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom