looking for recomndations on a new dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TTwizted13

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
so im currently just a rec diver, i plan on doing tec down the road (when the money is there, who knows when).

im still piecing together my first full set of equipment. have everything i need but a dive computer.

i know if money weren't an option, id be diving right into one of 1500$ + range, but unfortunately money is an issue with the economy and i dont wanna lose my scuba diving hobby, so i would like to budget between 500-1000$

so heres what ive been looking at so far and some requirements by me:

wrist mounted
air integrated - if possible or upgradable down the line
compass - tilt compensating
backlit
nitrox
not sure what the feature is called, but for doing multiple tank dives in a 1 day period, the compensation factor for nitrogen build up
timer
computer programming and logging

now, some computers i have been looking at:
mares matrix
mares nemo wide - love the display of this computer, large, very easy to use, big buttons
aeris epic
icon
oceanic veo 3.0
suunto d6i

...is there anyone out there that can help shed some light. ive played around with the nemo wide, icon, and veo.

but for a recreational diver, maybe 25-50 dives a year, traveling occasionally, and no tec diving for a while, is one better then the other?

i wish there were a test i could just take and it just gave me a recommendation based on my answers! ughh.

so any help would be appreciated!

as of right now, im leaning more towards the matrix, im just not sure as to some of the features

I can give you a little help the oceanic/aerial computer are not good for deco they are not true deco meters.

You don't need a dive computer. Save the money and get more training. It is more valuable than a DC. Get a bottom timer for around $260 and use tables for diving.

A little different opinion here, I would say purchase a computer now and when you venture into tech later then purchase the latest and greatest computer out there, just make sure what ever you buy now has gauge mode. My personal favorite now is the ScubaPro tech 2G, it has a ton of great features and for the download you can purchase an inexpensive IRDA adapter from Amazon and not have to spend $100 for a propitiatory cable from the manufacturer. DSS also has a bungee mount for the Tech 2G that works great. If you go tech later down the road you will need a backup timing device and this computer has an awesome gauge mode.

A little different opinion here, I would say purchase a computer now and when you venture into tech later then purchase the latest and greatest computer out there, just make sure what ever you buy now has gauge mode. My personal favorite now is the ScubaPro tech 2G, it has a ton of great features and for the download you can purchase an inexpensive IRDA adapter from Amazon and not have to spend $100 for a propitiatory cable from the manufacturer. DSS also has a bungee mount for the Tech 2G that works great. If you go tech later down the road you will need a backup timing device and this computer has an awesome gauge mode.

agreed, buy a decent rec computer now, just make sure it has gauge mode (most do). down the road whe you do Tec, you'll buy a Tec computer and use the old one for a backup bottom timer. Tec 2G is a great option.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=17.744652,-64.705722

thanks for all the help guys, still looking into it.

leaning towards getting a reliable rec diving computer now, then buying a good tec computer when i reach that stage.

appreciate all the input and ill keep this updated on what i find and end up going with

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom