Looking for Recommendations for Key Largo dive op

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yea they don't cancel for current. They cancel due to sea conditions and that's about it. They may change dive sites certainly but they won't cancel. Not that I've ever seen. This is one reason I prefer Southeast FL vs. Key Largo. Many of the wrecks are drifted (Jupiter, Palm Beach) and the current is just not a big factor. Take shelter behind the wreck when you need to and then let go and drift along then repeat. For the wrecks that are dived moored-in such as the Castor, Lady Luck, etc. if the current is ripping they can simply do a reef drift dive instead. It's a nice alternative vs. fighting the current.
It's not terribly difficult diving the Castor, except in the most ripping current, if you are with a reasonably experienced group. It's pretty easy to find protection and not hard to get to the bow from the stern in the remnants of the cargo deck. The Goliath Grouper are often packed into the wreck in high current, as are the Barracuda, Horse-eye Jacks, other hunters, and bait.

It's not terribly difficult diving the Castor, except in the most ripping current, if you are with a reasonably experienced group. It's pretty easy to find protection and not hard to get to the bow from the stern in the remnants of the cargo deck. The Goliath Grouper are often packed into the wreck in high current, as are the Barracuda, Horse-eye Jacks, other hunters, and bait.

Assuming you can get down the line. I've dived it before when that was pretty much impossible. But yes, in everything but extreme current the Castor is very diveable. Plenty of shelter to be had.

Assuming you can get down the line. I've dived it before when that was pretty much impossible. But yes, in everything but extreme current the Castor is very diveable. Plenty of shelter to be had.
Ha, I've never not been able to get down the line. You do have to make sure all your equipment is secure. Sometimes the line is vibrating against the current. As you know, Kevin, on Underwater Explorers, runs two big balls on his downline. I have dived with him when the second ball is just going underwater. Welcome to SE Florida. the challenges can be great, the rewards are better :)

Ha, I've never not been able to get down the line. You do have to make sure all your equipment is secure. Sometimes the line is vibrating against the current. As you know, Kevin, on Underwater Explorers, runs two big balls on his downline. I have dived with him when the second ball is just going underwater. Welcome to SE Florida. the challenges can be great, the rewards are better :)

The only time I've not gotten down was because the current ripped one of my fins off. Once that happened I was done. I wasn't going to fight it and try and have a decent dive with one fin.

If anyone finds my Dive Rite Fin let me know. It was probably blown to North Carolina.

The only time I've not gotten down was because the current ripped one of my fins off. Once that happened I was done. I wasn't going to fight it and try and have a decent dive with one fin.

If anyone finds my Dive Rite Fin let me know. It was probably blown to North Carolina.
In 2013, I was hit by a boat off Delray. I lost one of my Dive Rite XT fins. The story was relatively high profile in Boynton Beach. About 2 months later, Kevin, at Underwater Explorers, told me that a diver had returned an XT fin to him with my initials on it. You can never believe what might happen :)

Has anyone recently used a dive op that would aim to do the 1st dive on the Spiegel/Duane, and the 2nd dive somewhere shallower? Weather/current permitting of course.

I emailed Horizon, and their response was "All of our trips are either 2 dives on a shallow reef or 2 dives on a deep/wreck, we don’t offer a deep and a reef on any of our trips."

My buddy reached out to RR, and I don't have an exact quote, but they told him that the sites are determined by divers on the boat (based on both skills and preferences), so wrecks may or may not happen even in best of conditions.

Me and two buddies are coming to KL in late February, and since none of us been to either Spiegel or Duane, we all agree that these dives would be a must-do, current permitting. However for the second dive there is a difference of opinions; and the majority voted for maximizing the bottom time on the second dive. However, we are yet to find an op that would offer that combo.

Since it's just the three of us, we are not looking for a private charter.

@Scuba-74

Take a look at the RR schedule Diving Charter Schedule | Rainbow Reef Dive Center | Key Largo, Florida Keys. They run up to 8 boats morning and afternoon, many are first dive wreck, second dive something shallower, including the Benwood. Keep in mind that most operators have a general dive time limit, you will not likely have unlimited time on your second dive.

I have not dived with Quiescence, but have heard good things about them. They run with no more than 6 divers, may offer an option for the 3 of you.

There are lot's of operators, you should be able to find what you want. Best of luck with the conditions for your visit.

I've also heard great things about Conch Republic. I've never used them but I have friends who use them regularly. They've always been highly recommended to me I've just never had a chance to use them as I don't get down to Key Largo often. They are out of Tavernier so just a tad bit further south but they do the same Key Largo sites I believe.

Conch Republic

@Scuba-74

Take a look at the RR schedule Diving Charter Schedule | Rainbow Reef Dive Center | Key Largo, Florida Keys. They run up to 8 boats morning and afternoon, many are first dive wreck, second dive something shallower, including the Benwood.

This is awesome! Thanks!

Quiescence seems to be a $450/morning private charter now. I actually dove with them about 7 years ago, when you could still sign up individually.

I would advise going somewhere other than Key Largo. The reefs are in bad shape there.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom