looking for recent Hospital hole conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveBandit

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Anybody dive hospital hole lately? Looking for a conditions report.

Thanks in advance,
Dave.

You looking to dive it soon?
I am a Saturday diver for the most part and sometimes Sunday.
I have never been in the hospital hole, but I live close to it. Give me a shout if your looking to dive it and need a buddy or tag along.
Cheers,
Walt

I was there on Sunday. The water temp was 74 with a "reverse" themocline -- the river was colder and it warmed up to 74 degrees once you got down about 5-10 feet. Viz was pretty good above the sulfur layer and, as usual, pitch black below it. No manatees there yet.

Thx all, I dove it yesterday. Sulfur cloud at 77'. As debersole pointed out there is a reverse thermo with the top 10 feet being colder than the rest of the hole. Halocline from 5' to about 18' then pretty good vis down to the cloud. Looked like the cloud was rising as parts of the cloud were at 50' on 2nd dive.

Walt, I'll PM you next time I head up that way.

Oh, and by the way. Someone has installed a bouy in the hole with a line that goes straight to the bottom. They even have a place on the line to clip deco bottles at about 20 feet. Sorta' like the 100' line at the Hudson Grotto. Very cool addition to the hole, thanks to who'm ever installed it.

Well, I was there this past Sunday as well. The line goes to about 95' and does not quite hit the mung. There is still another 40' down from there once you clear the rocks. Nothing but a bunch of old cups and cans tossed in by ass holes! It would be nice to clean the place up a bit...

Is it secured by anything or just weighted down? It seemed pretty taught to me - like it was secured to something down on the bottom.

The line has a boat anchor and a cinder block or two on it as well, it hovers about 5 feet off the bottom but it is pretty solid. It is prone to slight movement.

Im sure the bouy wont be there long. Someone will remove it for "safety" sake.
In the past there have been lines installed that have been removed.

Im sure the bouy wont be there long. Someone will remove it for "safety" sake.
In the past there have been lines installed that have been removed.

Thats a shame. Having a line there is a good thing. I just wish they would have installed it over the deep end. Maybe if they started the line around 60' or so and had it run to the deep section nobody would pull it out.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom