Looking for opinions on new dry suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I love my Seaskin. The self-measurement guide was sufficient and it fits really well. Can not argue with the price, either.

I bought a Fusion Bullet at the beginning of June. It is my first drysuit so I don't have much to compare it to but I find it dry and comfortable both in and out of the water. I have no issues with the neck ring being too stiff but I am not a tech diver so I am not regularly reaching for valves and stuff behind my head. I did however, when donning the suit the first few times, have a perception that the whole zip entry area was huge and thought it might make me look like a zargon warrior...but when seeing my reflection in the car window I realized the suit looks quite form fitting.

I tried on a bunch of different suits, back entry, front entry, front entry at the waist, etc....the Fusion was the easiest and most comfortable suit for me to get on and off over the head due to their entry zipper design.

I find the 1mm thick neoprene cover to be a bit heavy and saggy when wet after a dive but the offset is a more flexible waterproof layer instead of having a thicker cordura outer layer on a trilam suit. I am starting to get used to the post dive feeling of the neoprene outer layer so this is not much of an issue for me.

The pockets have zips on either side to expand them...when diving with neoprene gloves, I find the bellows pockets on each leg to be a bit small to comfortably get my hands in and out of but I keep forgetting about the zippers to expand them so this is more my fault. Since I am new to diving drysuits and I mostly dive in quaries and lakes without boat traffic, I have opted to not dive with my DSMB to not be task loaded while learning how to dive this suit...I keep forgetting about the pocket zippers to expand the pockets because I am not really using them yet, but I am sure that will change within my next handful of dives.

The 2018 model year for Fusion Bullets had some changes from previous years. The "gator-tec" fabric is no longer on the forearms, buttocks, and shoulder areas...it is only on the lower legs from the knees on down. The suit does not come with removable forearm and shin padding any more either. Aqualung (they purchased Whites) decided to make these changes, citing that it makes the suit easier to don/doff as the gator-tec fabric was less stretchy than the surrounding neoprene. They also cited that it was a way they could keep the price of the suit relatively the same as 2017. If this is a concern, I would recommend buying a 2017 model year suit....there seem to be plenty available. The 2018 model suits also have a gaudy giant Aqualung logo in white on one of the shoulder pannels (can't remember if it is right or left side).

I use a BP/W with a simple hogarthian harness for a BC and have not had any issues with the neck or zipper interfering with it.

I am 5'10" and about 220lbs and use a 2xl/3xl.

Hope that helps Good luck with your search for a new suit, it seems like there are lots of great choices out there.

-Z

I too just purchased a new aqualung fusion bullet after unforeseen sewage back up ruining my gear.
Previously owning a Whites Fusion bullet, a suit I loved. I am quickly falling out of love with this suit, even tho it is my mistake for not researching... I just ordered it..
I’m still trying to determine how I’m coming out of a dive a little wet.. i just noticed the interior of the suit to be wet throughout... so it is quite evident the suit does not dry well.. UK does make a drysuit hanger with some sort of fan to move air.. might be a necessity for this suit..
I also dislike the massive neck seal collar.. any time spent waiting to go in the water is painful with the shoulder straps pushing the seal into your collarbone..
My previous suit was ALL black.. the new has white stitching and enormous aqualung symbols everywhere... shouldn’t have changed a good thing

I too just purchased a new aqualung fusion bullet after unforeseen sewage back up ruining my gear.
Previously owning a Whites Fusion bullet, a suit I loved. I am quickly falling out of love with this suit, even tho it is my mistake for not researching... I just ordered it..
I’m still trying to determine how I’m coming out of a dive a little wet.. i just noticed the interior of the suit to be wet throughout... so it is quite evident the suit does not dry well.. UK does make a drysuit hanger with some sort of fan to move air.. might be a necessity for this suit..
I also dislike the massive neck seal collar.. any time spent waiting to go in the water is painful with the shoulder straps pushing the seal into your collarbone..
My previous suit was ALL black.. the new has white stitching and enormous aqualung symbols everywhere... shouldn’t have changed a good thing

I have a HangAir suit dryer (the UK hanger you're talking about). I have found it to be useless for drying the inside of a drysuit. It's awesome for drying a wetsuit, though! In a drysuit, the sealed feet means no air really moves through the bottom half of the suit. So, the dryer really does nothing for that bottom half.

I have only found 2 things that work:

- if the suit has boots (vs socks), buy some electric shoe dryers than can be inserted into the feet.

- get a suit with attached socks, instead of boots, so you can turn it fully inside out.

As for your suit being wet throughout, are you sure it's not just condensation from sweat? You can get quite a lot of that inside a suit.... The best thing for that is simply a good base layer that wicks the sweat away, so the inside of the suit may feel damp, but what's against your skin still feels dry. I like Merino wool for that kind of base layer.

Thanks for the tips and suggestions...
I used to have the normal UK drysuit hanger and never really had an issue with the interior of my old suit being wet. I do believe you are correct in it being condensation built up inside.. that’s what i was leaning towards... so the suit may have wet from previous dives... heading to the garage now to turn my suit inside out... lol

If you don't have shoe dryers, and you do have attached boots, you can wad up newspaper to stuff inside the boots. I've heard that works pretty well to pull the moisture out.

check the exhaust valve, some are complaining the newer apeks valve is a little leaky if you like to leave it wide open.

so i have had pretty much them all and i find the shell suit it way better personal preference, self entry.

STAY AWAY FROM FUSION! its a garbage bag with seals in it i couldn't step on anything or touch anything and have a hole in it. Dui is a very comfortable suit with 90% of your movement range still good and easy. Bare suits i found heavy and bulky, My viking suit is comfy light but its like wearing a huge condom. by far the best two suits i have wore are the sani and abyss.

I started with a Bare Nex Gen and then went with the Fusion Tech. Can be a bit of a PITA to get it on past the calves but other than that it has been great. Easy to dive and dry for the past 9 years except when I cut it during storage and when I got a slice in the neck seal while it was hanging up. I added the changeable seals several years after I bought it. Had DRIS do that who did a great job with fast turn around. A number of my dive buddies also have Fusions with similar results.

Back
Top Bottom