Looking for opinions on new dry suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SpartanDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

I'm looking for opinions on a new dry suit. I have been diving with a Bare Nex Gen Pro for many years now, and it is time to upgrade. Although it has been a great suit, it has always been a little small for me which limits mobility and it has a back entry zipper, which I haven't ever been a big fan of. It's time for something that finally fits me properly and is easy to get into and out of.

Almost all of my diving does, and will take place in the cold waters of the Great Lakes. I'm just shy of 6' 1" and 225 lbs.

I have been eyeballing the Whites Fusion dry suits, but as with all things, opinions seems to vary. I am very open to all suggestions and opinions. I'd obviously like something that is rugged enough for the Great Lakes deep, dark, and cold waters.

My budget for a new suit is $2,000 or (preferably) less.

Thanks for any help that you can give.

Chad

I loathe the zipper placement on the Fusion. Hate it with a passion.

YMMV.

Hi,

I'm looking for opinions on a new dry suit. I have been diving with a Bare Nex Gen Pro for many years now, and it is time to upgrade. Although it has been a great suit, it has always been a little small for me which limits mobility and it has a back entry zipper, which I haven't ever been a big fan of. It's time for something that finally fits me properly and is easy to get into and out of.

Almost all of my diving does, and will take place in the cold waters of the Great Lakes. I'm just shy of 6' 1" and 225 lbs.

I have been eyeballing the Whites Fusion dry suits, but as with all things, opinions seems to vary. I am very open to all suggestions and opinions. I'd obviously like something that is rugged enough for the Great Lakes deep, dark, and cold waters.

My budget for a new suit is $2,000 or (preferably) less.

Thanks for any help that you can give
Chad
I love my USIA Techniflex. Mine is the HOG labeled varient. Contact Jim Lapenta on this board for a great price

I actually have a Fusion and it is by far the driest of the three suits I own. The biggest issue I have is, like Marie, the zipper placement. That along with the seal system makes that area stiff and limits my mobility.
I dive it in local caves because it’s tougher than my others. Santi Emotion and DUI TLS.
I understand Aqua Lung (they bought out Whites) has made some changes in that area and the neck seal ring is a bit softer.

When it come time to look for a new suit, I’ll take a serious look at O’Three.

Fusion Bullet. The benefits of this suit far outweight the cons IMO.

I recently moved from a Fusion Bullet to a DUI (H2Operations FWIW). The biggest advantage to the Fusion is that if you yo-yo diet, the suit will expand and shrink with you. I have several dislikes with respect to the fusion: 1) As noted zipper placement - restricts arm movement; 2) the neck seal collar can be quite uncomfortable under your BCD - shoulder straps can press the seal into your collar bone; 3) takes forever to dry (may be limited to bullet model); and 4) because of the outside constricting layer, it take effort to move for air into your legs (good), but it also takes a lot to move it out (bad). Overall, I am very happy with the DUI, but have kept the Fusion in case my weight adjusts outside of the DUI's operating range :).

Hi,

Almost exactly the same size I am. I have been diving a Waterproof D9X, size XL. It is nice, but when I put on all my undies (for our quarry, which is 38 - 41 on the bottom), the arms are too tight around my forearms.

I just ordered a Seaskin Nova trilam. They are from the UK and done as made-to-measure. If you get the base suit, it's around $650, with shipping. I got pretty much every option they offer, including replaceable neck seals (Si Tech), Kubi wrist rings with silicone seals, Si Tech pee valve, thigh pockets, etc.. It was about $1200, with shipping.

Dry Suits from Seaskin Custom Drysuits home page - Seaskin Custom Diving Suits

Actually, I ordered their base layer (pants and shirt), 250gm full undersuit, 150gm shorty undersuit, and 150gm socks. With the suit, ALL of it was under $1500, including shipping.

Unfortunately, I won't know if it fits or is any good quality until it arrives - which is still probably 2 months away....

Get a Seaskin. Pick your options. Inexpensive. Made-to-measure. Pay the couple bucks and have a tailor measure you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom