Looking for new cordless primary light for wreck diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This definitely looks like a possibility and close to what I'm looking for. Would be cool though if it had a hi and low setting since it's so powerful. Thanks.

It does, full and half brightness settings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I may,

UTD VIZ 35 Sport · UTD Scuba Diving

Under $500, 3 hrs burn time, 600' depth, 3500 lum.

This definitely looks like a possibility and close to what I'm looking for. Would be cool though if it had a hi and low setting since it's so powerful. Thanks.

Do NOT believe the rating. It's NOT a 1000lm light. Currently, the top-end LED Emitters on the market are providing in the range of 100lm/W. This means that the 10W light UTD is calling 3500lm is putting out no more than 1000lm. I'd bet big bucks that they use the same emitter that's in the Dive Rite LX20, which is the same emitter in my $25 chinese light. Do NOT be fooled. 350lm/W is simply not possible.

what is interesting is that some of the pictures look like a video light with 3 emitters on them which would make sense for 3500lm behind the glass assuming the XML-U2 emitters, but then it would draw much more than 10w, but their Rec-50 light which says 3x6w LED's claims 5000 lumen, math doesn't make sense, certainly not with lumen measured in the center of the beam at 10' away.

The UWLD lights shine a true 3500lumen and draw 30W, and 1100lumen at 10w. AG claiming 3500 with 10W is nothing short of impossible.... Better yet, he claims .8ah draw with only 2.2ah battery and claims over 3 hours on high, that doesn't compute....

How about the TL4000 from Big Blue? Or TL2800 if you want something smaller.

There's claims that they don't output the given light, but imo it's still more than enough.

what is interesting is that some of the pictures look like a video light with 3 emitters on them which would make sense for 3500lm behind the glass assuming the XML-U2 emitters, but then it would draw much more than 10w, but their Rec-50 light which says 3x6w LED's claims 5000 lumen, math doesn't make sense, certainly not with lumen measured in the center of the beam at 10' away.

The UWLD lights shine a true 3500lumen and draw 30W, and 1100lumen at 10w. AG claiming 3500 with 10W is nothing short of impossible.... Better yet, he claims .8ah draw with only 2.2ah battery and claims over 3 hours on high, that doesn't compute....
I saw the pics and got confused. But the specs clearly say one 10W LED emitter. That means 1000lm at best.

It does, full and half brightness settings.

Deleted.

There was an interesting thread on here a while back "cutting the cord" that got my interest. I need a new primary light for wreck diving (burn time about 2-4 hours ) and so far have checked out the Sola and the Dive Rite. Both look great so I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with any of these? or perhaps there may be further recommendations?

Thanks in advance .

I have never used Dive Rite, but I have use Sola 600. Based on my experience, I can't recommend it for the cost of $600. Its beam is wide. While nice and smooth, it lack intensity for tech or wreck diving. I am assume you need it for signaling. And with CREE LED, I don't think it is possible to get 600 lumen out this light for 3 hours of run time with that package size. And it certainly don't feel 600 lumen to me

---------- Post added July 15th, 2015 at 03:56 PM ----------

Why bother with that light? Only throws 700 lumen out the front and costs $800
Cave Adventurers - HOG Morph 1000 - Marianna, Florida USA - Never Undersold!

This light exergenrate the output. I have had one, measured output, it produces about 400lumen with fleshly charged canister battery. It is a one CREE XLM2 U2 LED. It can't do 1000 lumen no matter how your drive it. With 1x 18650, it probably produce 250 lumen only. For the cost, I would go with DGX600, basically the same LED, same battery, similar output and run time.

---------- Post added July 15th, 2015 at 04:09 PM ----------

If I may,

UTD VIZ 35 Sport · UTD Scuba Diving

Under $500, 3 hrs burn time, 600' depth, 3500 lum.

This light output about 1000-1200 lumen only. 3x Cree XML2-U2 LED just can NOT output 3500 lumen no matter how you drive them. Spec says with 3x 2200mAh, it get 3 hours run time. To drive 3 Cree LED, these 18650 will be in series, resulting total of still 2200mAh. 3 hours run time means the light draws about 750mA. Take away head and driver efficienty, maybe 550mA goes into LED. You get 1000 lumen in that case. I know everyone spec their output at ideal case usage, but this time UTD went overboard this time.

The morph 1000 certainly doesn't throw 1000 out the front, but I would bet it is close to 1000 at the emitter, more like 600 or so out the front, which is what DGX is quoting and makes sense based on the reduction in optics. I imagine 400 is rather low, the proper devices for measuring true lumen output are wicked expensive *many thousands of dollars*, and the cheap ones aren't accurate

The point was, with a single XM-L2 emitter that is only capable of producing 1200 lumen at the emitter, which is current state of the art, there is no point in buying the LX-20 with the same emitter as the others and paying 10x the DGX-Max price, and there is certainly no possible way that the UTD light produces 3500 lumen at 10w, it's just not possible. I was just using the Morph as one of the, you can buy 3 of these, a full set of spare batteries, and get a better solution than the LX-20 because it has the same emitter.

Each Cree XML2-U2 LED just can NOT output 1000 lumen in practice. 600-650 is probably the practical limited give the current they have to draw at that output (2A). doubling the current at this point doesn't double the output.

---------- Post added July 15th, 2015 at 04:25 PM ----------

The morph 1000 certainly doesn't throw 1000 out the front, but I would bet it is close to 1000 at the emitter, more like 600 or so out the front, which is what DGX is quoting and makes sense based on the reduction in optics. I imagine 400 is rather low, the proper devices for measuring true lumen output are wicked expensive

It is more like 600 at the emitter (~2A current), maybe 400 front if you have the canister version. A true 400 lumen light is a lot of light. The handheld version, the issue with 1x 18650 is that this cell can't really provide 2A output for extended amount of time. The actual output will much smaller after the initial couple of minutes. I didn't have the handheld version for measurement, but my estimation is 250-300 range.

Keep in mind Morph 1000 use the same LED as DGX600. In handheld config, use the same type of battery too. The only difference is the driver efficiency. How let's face it, they are both made by Chinese company, probably using the same driver as well. The 250-300 measurement is from DGX600, which is also Brinyte Div05, which I am current using for backup light. And yes, I have the proper equipment to measure power consumption and light intensity. Altough no a lumen measurement, but give the control environment, it is very easy to estimate.

This light output about 1000-1200 lumen only. 3x Cree XML2-U2 LED just can NOT output 3500 lumen no matter how you drive them. Spec says with 3x 2200mAh, it get 3 hours run time. To drive 3 Cree LED, these 18650 will be in series, resulting total of still 2200mAh. 3 hours run time means the light draws about 750mA. Take away head and driver efficienty, maybe 550mA goes into LED. You get 1000 lumen in that case. I know everyone spec their output at ideal case usage, but this time UTD went overboard this time.

Just one note: the UTD light only has one emitter, but the better XML emitters will hit 1000lm behind the glass....you should be closer to 700 in front of the glass.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom