CORDLESS light with long burn time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do plan on doing limited penetration wreck diving
Often the vis (backscatter) will preclude using a super bright light. I would look no further than the LX20+. I get over 4.5 hrs on medium, and 2.5 hrs on high. It's easy to swap batteries for a second dive if you have good enough vis to run on high the whole time.

ETA: for flights, check the light in normal baggage with the other gear, the 4x (or 8x) 18650 batteries go in the bottom of my personal carry-on in a cheap plastic case.

Often the vis (backscatter) will preclude using a super bright light. I would look no further than the LX20+. I get over 4.5 hrs on medium, and 2.5 hrs on high. It's easy to swap batteries for a second dive if you have good enough vis to run on high the whole time.

ETA: for flights, check the light in normal baggage with the other gear, the 4x (or 8x) 18650 batteries go in the bottom of my personal carry-on in a cheap plastic case.
OK, the guide had the LX20 on a Goodman handle. He let me use it on the ascent out of the cavern and I liked the way it felt and it was brighter than my Kraken. I was looking for an upgrade over that but if you are getting close to 5hrs on a medium setting and you can take the batteries with your carry on luggage I'm good with getting it.
So the LX20 is on the list. If there are any other recommendations I'm listening. With the Holiday Season here and I'm working on ANDP I'm ready to get that light! Thanks for the information about the wreck's viz and backscatter.

If you’re tech diving my opinion still stands as get a corded light. It’s lighter and less bulky in your hand and it’s always attached to you if you miss a clip putting it away or the bolt snap or bungee loops comes unthreaded.

And you can get enough burn time to do 2 dives on high power out of a single charge.

I was wondering if there is a cordless light that performs close to or just as good a corded one, especially when it comes to run/burn time?

OK, the guide had the LX20 on a Goodman handle. He let me use it on the ascent out of the cavern and I liked the way it felt and it was brighter than my Kraken. I was looking for an upgrade over that but if you are getting close to 5hrs on a medium setting and you can take the batteries with your carry on luggage I'm good with getting it.
So the LX20 is on the list. If there are any other recommendations I'm listening. With the Holiday Season here and I'm working on ANDP I'm ready to get that light! Thanks for the information about the wreck's viz and backscatter.

You are asking for the impossible. Lights with external canisters need those big batteries for a reason and if you want something that performs to that level as far as light output *power consumption* and burn time *battery capacity* then you need to have an external canister. The LX20+ is a great light, I own two of them, and I use them more frequently than I use my UWLD LD-40, especially when teaching, but let's not kid ourselves about what that light is and what it can do. The UWLD puts out nearly 3x the light output for almost twice as long. Does it matter? Not for most people, no, but the UWLD has 15x 18650's in its battery pack where the LX20+ only has 4 in the carriage *the UWLD uses lower capacity 18650's to keep the battery under the 160wh for flight as an FYI so while the pack could be larger capacity it would be counter productive since you couldn't fly with the big one anymore, and the reality is that 4 hours on high is more than enough, even when we are doing exploration dives*.

You're in the USA, support USA businesses, you won't do any better than the LX20+ for quality/convenience and it's made in the USA with USA support. When you outgrow it, get the UWLD which is also made in the USA at a veteran owned business with USA support. For where you are at, it's probably not worth the price of entry for the big can light and I can't blame you for that, but the LX20+ is about as good as it gets for handhelds. Some are bright but don't burn as long, some burn longer but aren't as bright, this one is more than bright enough *15 years ago it would have been one of the brightest lights on the market for reference*

Another aspect of the LX20+ that is fairly uncommon at this price range is the constant output level (battery permitting, of course).

Another aspect of the LX20+ that is fairly uncommon at this price range is the constant output level (battery permitting, of course).
it outputs constantly regardless of battery, it will just kick down to low when the batteries are low vs. the tapered output of lower quality lights

OK, LX20+ it is and I'll relegate my Krakens to backup duty.

Ok one more question. What is the difference between using a light with a Goodman handle vs the gloves that you insert the flash light into.

Don't rule out the hp50 either.
Will run the same brightness/time as the lx20 but has an option for brighter

OK, LX20+ it is and I'll relegate my Krakens to backup duty.

Ok one more question. What is the difference between using a light with a Goodman handle vs the gloves that you insert the flash light into.
How easily you can move it around. When you’re scootering, laying line, dumping your wing etc.

Personal preference depending on the type of diving you do.

I prefer using LX20+ with a hard handle so that I can take off the light easily. LX20+ is the light I use most often in caves.

However, I run BX2 lights with a soft handle. BX2 is a smaller light, easier to maneuver, and I use it only for short rec dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom