CORDLESS light with long burn time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK, LX20+ it is and I'll relegate my Krakens to backup duty.

Ok one more question. What is the difference between using a light with a Goodman handle vs the gloves that you insert the flash light into.
how easily it goes on and off of your hand. I would not use a hard goodman in open water and I still put a bungee loop around my wrist and clip the bolt snap into it just in case

how easily it goes on and off of your hand. I would not use a hard goodman in open water and I still put a bungee loop around my wrist and clip the bolt snap into it just in case
Ah OK, so for cavern and wrecks use the goodman handle and for open water attach to bcd! Thanks!!!

Ah OK, so for cavern and wrecks use the goodman handle and for open water attach to bcd! Thanks!!!
I don't attach it to the bcd, but I do use the soft glove and make sure the bolt snap on the back of the light is clipped to the soft goodman so if it pops out of the attachment it won't drop to the abyss.

I want to provide some context about why I'd recommend not using a soft goodman handle or glove.

Your light is essentially your voice underwater. The way you move it passively communicates a lot to your team, acting as a link to promote team awareness. For example, if I’m on a team of three and I see two other beams, I know we’re all together. If one beam starts getting larger, it signals we’re separating and need to slow down. When the lights are moving slowly and remain stable, I know everyone is doing well. We can check on each other by making slow circles with our lights, get someone's attention with slow back-and-forth movements, or signal an emergency with rapid motions.

Light discipline is crucial, ensuring your light is always visible to your team and isn’t unintentionally signaling something you don’t mean to communicate.

Every time you need to adjust your buoyancy, you have to transfer the light from your left hand to your right to avoid blinding your team mates behind you and making it appear that you’re signaling, and a hard goodman handles make this much easier, allowing you to easily move the light to the temporary position, make your adjustment, and then place it back on your left hand. You don’t want the light permanently in your right hand, because if you need to donate gas or operate the light would blind your teammates, and that’s the hand that drives the DPV.

Many cave divers who use glove-mounted or helmet-mounted lights tend to have erratic light movements, which can be anxiety-inducing when you're accustomed to diving with teams whose lights remain stable, even when you just see them coming around the corner in a cave.

Every time you need to adjust your buoyancy, you have to transfer the light from your left hand to your right to avoid blinding your team mates behind you and making it appear that you’re signaling, and a hard goodman handles make this much easier, allowing you to easily move the light to the temporary position, make your adjustment, and then place it back on your left hand.
Tbh mostly you want to adjust buyoncy quickly - just use the hand that has not the light in that moment.

Tbh mostly you want to adjust buyoncy quickly - just use the hand that has not the light in that moment.
If you're ahead of the rig you don't need to do it quickly.

I ran a test on my Orcatorch ZD710 and got 10 hours and 10 minutes on a single charge on low. Their website claims 9:30 max..

There are 3D printed Goodman's which combine the security of a glove and easy removal of a hard handle.
ChrisMBC on here has the design available.

Since going to them I don't want anything else.

It was not part of the question, if you can take this on a flight.

You will have this issue with tanks as well... You can in principle then use 3x 21700 instead, of course.

However the rule is different, see

Below 100 Wh, we have 3.7V with 25Ah so below, itnis allowed with less than 2g Lithium Content.
For 2g to 8g and up to 160Wh it is to the discretion of the airline.
The lithium content is the real problem here
It is 0.3 x Ah, so to stay below 2g max would be around 6.5Ah. We are just below 8g so it would be to the airlines discretion, so you need to stick with 3x 21700 to be on the safe side (can be interchanged), but not sure if a battery pack would not have the same issues...

But again: That was not part of the question, and as this cell is the"Tesla cell" there might be some updstes to flight rules.
Lithium ion (including LIPO) rechargeable battery carry-on limits are established in watt hours (v DC x Ah)-max 160 Wh w/airline approval. Lithium metal (non-rechargeable lithium) are established in grams of content. Also, batteries must be in conformity with testing standards under UN 38.3. I have not seen anything recent (i.e. last decade) which uses both sets (Wh and grams) of limits for the same chemistry.

In the US these are laid out in CFR Title 49 Section 175.10 (a) (18) and are the basis for the FAA/TSA limits. Note dive lights have their own section (CFR Title 49 175.10 (a) (14)) which concerns their ability to produce heat. In that case both the heat and the battery chemistry are the hazards. If the battery can be disconnected from the lamp head heat is no longer a hazard and you're left with battery chemistry as the only hazard and 175.10 (a) (18) applies. There are the same as standards for IATA and form the basis for limits set by non-US airlines.

I have never found an airline which has different standards. Even in Mexico, which over the years has used some pretty whacky battery standards, Mexican airlines follow the IATA limits.

FWIW, the only time I ever encountered a security question on this watt hour issue was in Tokyo when the security agent read the specs on the outside of the canister to determine that the battery (a LM 20.8 Ah canister) was below the 160 Wh limit. It was and no problem.

That said, it's worthwhile carrying a copy of the regs on your phone in case you come across the security agent who is both ignorant and conscientious.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom