Looking for my first BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes in an ideal world. However. The weight difference between the 2 is roughly 4lbs or 2kg. Nothing. That weight difference can easily be distributed though cam band pockets or what ever else the OP is using

All rigs are a compromise ( to some extent) unless its built for one particular type of diving in a particular environment
I thought the point of this exercise was optimization :)

Seriously, I'd set up for cold water now with a 17l wing and SS plate. Use this for everything, with a plan to eventually get another rig for warm water. FWIW, I prefer SS for warm water since it lets me avoid using a weight belt. I'd only recommend Al if it is the difference between travelling with a carry-on versus a checked bag.

I thought the point of this exercise was optimization :)

Seriously, I'd set up for cold water now with a 17l wing and SS plate and eventually get another rig for warm water. FWIW, I prefer SS for warm water since it lets me avoid using a weight belt. I'd only recommend Al if it is the difference between travelling with a carry-on versus a checked bag.

The OP is on a budget.

Easier to add weight, subtracting weight off a rig, not easy.

I get your intentions, again I point out it's only 4lbs. I've not used a weight belt in years (unless teaching then its for show)

I of course don't follow my advice, I have 4 permanent rigs any one that I can just pick up off the shelf depending on what I'm doing and configured as such.

However I can easily weight up a lighter rig if that's all I have and the situation changes. Since I don't live in the US with their generous carry on allowances, everything gets checked - as will the OP since they're in Europe

well thank you for this exchange! I learned a lot!

I realize that it is not optimum but I'm leaning toward an AL, 17L with weight system. I can only afford one rig and it will have to go with me in that 3 degrees water as well as in my carry on! I think it will be good (albeit not great) in all situations while allowing me to have a lot of customization related to my handicap. (the 14l has a good discount though, that's why I was inquiring about the size, I'm not a streamlining freak per say)

@Diving Dubai I have a manufacturer that proposes me an adapted rig at a good price and they appear to be good quality so I think I'll stick with them.

For the thickness I will stick with 1000 cordura. it seems silly to take the heavier denier (and add weight to the wing) just because it's a free "upgrade"

How big a price difference? Like I said, a 14L will work in theory and most wings are a bit underrated. Also, anyone should be able to swim up a couple of kilos negative.

What's the weight system? Complex systems are often more of a detriment than a help.

How big a price difference? Like I said, a 14L will work in theory and most wings are a bit underrated. Also, anyone should be able to swim up a couple of kilos negative.

Due to a discount on the 14L 1000 denier orange wing it is 30€ cheaper. Then the 14L cordura 2000, 17L cordura 2000 AND 17L orange cordura 1000 are all the same price. (Around 200)

What's the weight system? Complex systems are often more of a detriment than a help.

There are options:
- trim weight tied to the backplate
trim pockets for backplate | DTD
- trim weight on the cam bands
trim pocket BLACK | DTD
- easy release weight system
weighting system DOWN-DROP SMALL | DTD

Will you be diving cold water only with s drysuit? I'm asking because without redundant flotation (i.e. wing and drysuit), you need enough ditchable weight to get off the bottom if your wing fails at depth (when neoprene is compressed) at the start of a dive (4 or 5 kilos of air in the tank). It doesn't look like you'll be able to do that with the combination you showed.

I can't intelligently comment on the specific pockets you are looking at since I've never used anything quite like them. I use a pair of simple top-loading trim pouches on my waist band for warm water. They are limited to 5lbs (2.3) kilos per side, but that's enough for me up to a 5mm suit with my steel plate.

Hopefully @Diving Dubai will check back in to comment on cold water options.

so far I dive only with (very) thick wetsuit and that is the reason why I'm not set on the 14L and still think about the 17L.

the last system are ditchable weight but only 2kg per side so if I understand you well it wouldn't be enough? there are larger options though so it's good for me to have this discussion! Thank you for taking the time, really appreciate it!

I don't feel qualified to respond further on this particular question. I'm not sure why no one else has jumped in. Maybe post a new thread on just this issue (cold water weighting for both dry and wet)?

Will do! Thanks for the support :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom