Looking for my first BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

axluba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello all,

So I decided to use this winter to do some research on my first BCD (in the broad sense of the term) and therefore I come for some advice on a system that would hopefully be fairly polyvalent. I would rather put some money in one good quality system that can do a bit of everything than split my budget for 2 different systems. The buy would happen in spring.

A bit of context:

Budget:
  • 500euros
  • Not against second hand

Me:
  • Rec diver, not planning to go tek
  • I live in Europe (with European prices! and 20% taxes + shipping if I import from the US)

Dive type:
  • Single tank
  • Diving cold water at home (7mil+hood/glove and planning on learning dry suit)
  • Traveling to friendlier water (20 to 25 Celsius) fairly often

System:
  • After trying jacket and wing BCD (no backplate) I think I like wing style better.
  • I would like a system that is fairly polyvalent so I can travel and dive at home which would mean diving it with light wet suit, thick wet suit and hopefully dry suit.
  • I need a right-side butt dump

My researches’ results:

the SP Seahawk 2.0
  • I like: the dump weight design, why not having some pockets, the weight of the bcd
  • I don’t like: The lack of modularity (if something cracks the bcd is done), lack of reviews, boring colors

the SP Hydropros (second hand)
  • I like: The stripped-down design, the dump weight design, the weight of the bcd, the modularity, fun color
  • I don’t like: the price (of the bcd and of the options), the fragility of some points (fixed with the upgrade?)

the Mares XR (aluminum plate + weight pocket)
  • I like: The stripped-down design, modularity of the BP/W, the weight of the system
  • I don’t like: the price of some accessories (yes I would like the padding), the lack of mares dump weight pockets (but it’s me being picky)

I kinda like the DIY side of the BP/W but I didn’t find any other BP/W system with right side butt dump (Anything I should be aware of before thinking of going that way without experience?).

My goal here isn’t to start a BP/W vs BCD talk. But more to have feedback on the system mentioned and maybe some suggestions regarding systems I might not be aware of. For example, other wings with right butt dumps.

I would also be interested if any system would offer right side inflator (or if it’s possible to swap with the right shoulder dump on a BCD).

Thank you for everybody who read all of it.

Safe dive.

Up-ing my own post especially regarding any single tank bp/wing with right butt dump!

Nothing against the mares XR. I just like to have options

Why do you think you need a right hand butt dump? Most wings have them on the left for a reason.

For cold water diving a stainless backplate wing is great moves weight off your belt to over your lungs, I use mine even in warm water. I don't know Europe brands so I can't help there.

First, thank you for you answers!

Why do you think you need a right hand butt dump? Most wings have them on the left for a reason.

It’s fairly simple. I don’t have a left hand, and while I can manage pretty cleanly the left shoulder inflator it gets messy when I reach the left butt dump valve.

For cold water diving a stainless backplate wing is great moves weight off your belt to over your lungs, I use mine even in warm water. I don't know Europe brands so I can't help there.

I’ll be thinking about steel.. I feel like it’s easier to get an aluminum plate, lighter for travel (which would be common) and to put trim weights.. as polyvalent system. Rather than having a steel plate being limitatif for travel... I could be wrong though!

First, thank you for you answers!

It’s fairly simple. I don’t have a left hand, and while I can manage pretty cleanly the left shoulder inflator it gets messy when I reach the left butt dump valve.

I’ll be thinking about steel.. I feel like it’s easier to get an aluminum plate, lighter for travel (which would be common) and to put trim weights.. as polyvalent system. Rather than having a steel plate being limitatif for travel... I could be wrong though!

I've traveled with mine once, it went in carry on a little heavy but manageable.

I travel with my SS plate all the time. I like having the weight distributed over my back.

It’s fairly simple. I don’t have a left hand
No left hand is a pretty good reason.

You might look at adding a right dump to one without it. People talk about cutting extra vents in wings fairly often. And also about routing a pull dump up to the shoulder area. Though not as much about crossing one side to the other. If you are doing custom stuff, particularly cutting into wings, the mix and match aspect of BP/W may make parts availability easier. Either later or because of an inexpert modification effort. Good luck.

I've traveled with mine once, it went in carry on a little heavy but manageable.

I travel with my SS plate all the time. I like having the weight distributed over my back.

I’ll look at it! I think I should try the SS backplate. It will help me formulate a better opinion.

No left hand is a pretty good reason.

You might look at adding a right dump to one without it. People talk about cutting extra vents in wings fairly often. And also about routing a pull dump up to the shoulder area. Though not as much about crossing one side to the other. If you are doing custom stuff, particularly cutting into wings, the mix and match aspect of BP/W may make parts availability easier. Either later or because of on inexpert modification effort. Good luck.

Yeah, I’m pretty handy but without experience I’m not sur I’ll go cut a hole in a bladder! And yes the customization possibilities of BP/W configurations is definitely what attracts me!

However the bcd are already with a right hand butt dump... I just like the construction of bp/w a bit better in term of simplicity, modularity and strength of design I think.. but nothing set in stone!

The mares XR is still a viable option I think

take a look at the xdeep and apeks bpw also

I did... as well as DTD, Scubapro, VDH, dive rite... couldn’t find any right butt dump. Did I miss something?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom