Looking for Morrison Springs conditions.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbm

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm In Destin for a few days and was thinking of diving Morrison Springs.

The last I had heard, Morrison was closed due to a health alert. Is this closure over?

If so, any condition report would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance....

jbm

Still closed.

Our local paper in Fort Walton Beach just reported that Morrison has been re-opened today, Wednesday February 12, 2014. I posted the link to their Facebook page article. If it doesn't work for some reason, it is being reported in the Northwest Florida Daily News.

https://www.facebook.com/nwfdailynews?hc_location=timeline

call vortex its just up the road...if you have to get wet

Thanks. Vortex was my plan B.

jbm

---------- Post added February 12th, 2014 at 12:20 PM ----------

Our local paper in Fort Walton Beach just reported that Morrison has been re-opened today, Wednesday February 12, 2014. I posted the link to their Facebook page article. If it doesn't work for some reason, it is being reported in the Northwest Florida Daily News.

https://www.facebook.com/nwfdailynews?hc_location=timeline
Hi Glen! How are you doing?

That's great news re. Morrison. What are the chances it isn't at flood stage with last nights rain?

James

It will be flooded by tomorrow and remain that way into next week according to the NWS. Which also means the bacteria count will likely be back up... :(

I heard the bacteria was coming from the vent and that they thought it was related to the bathrooms built up the hill. I heard this from a fellow diver so it didn't come from any official source. I was driving by there last weekend and walked down to the spring and it was covered with river water with only a small boil visible on the surface. It is a shame what has been done to that spring over the years. Blasting the entrance to the cave shut and now pollution from the bathrooms.

I really doubt that's the cause of contamination. The park has been closed since last summer. The bathrooms haven't been used in all that time. Also, it typically takes years for rain water to seep through the ground into the ground water. We wouldn't be seeing the effects of the new bathroom septic tank leaking for several more years.

Might not be but they haven't closed any of the other springs in the area. They bottle water from Cypress Springs which is just a few miles away but it is on Holmes Creek. I know Ebro Blue is not closed and it is down river from Morrison. Maybe they aren't testing it. I hope it's okay as I have several dozen dives there in the last year as well as other springs down river from Morrison. In fact Ebro Blue gets the best when the river is flooded. It really helps the viz as it cuts the flow down. Heck I heard there was a German cave diver trapped over here due to the weather maybe you could get him to test it out.

Back
Top Bottom