Looking for Mac love(support) for the Cobalt 2.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What Eric says above about the way MacOS negotiates is correct. You won’t see the “connected” on the Cobalt until you connect from the application.

The 2.26 issue is not really a problem with the Cobalt’s firmware, but an issue with the way MacOS handles USB- essentially the problems is that if the last segment in the dive is exactly divisible by the buffer size, the Mac doesn’t see the end of file and just keeps looking. It’s not an issue for Windows or any other OS, and in new firmware we insert dummy bits in this instance to avoid the problem- a workaround. If you see this problem let me know and I will give you the fix. New Cobalt 2 firmware should be posted soon.

MacOS doesn’t require drivers for the Cobalt because it is a true USB device- the other computers you mention are probably using using a serial interface and need a driver.

Apart from the MacOS quirk related to buffer size, there isn’t any general problem we are aware of with Mac dive log applications. We, the Cobalt’s developers, are Mac users and in fact most of the Cobalt’s development was and continues to be done on Mac hardware. MacDive was the first dive log app available for the Cobalt. Both MacDive and Dive Log DT have many happy users (including under 10.10), and both have great support.

I’d be interested to know who you contacted at SubSurface, we can work with them to figure out what’s happening- Cobalt support is a little newer for them, but I will reach out to my contact there. I just tried downloading to SubSurface and it worked (under MacOS 10.10.5)- but I’m seeing the same thing you are with SubSurface 4.4.2 re- showing a “Bluetooth-Incoming-Port” as the mount point. That’s clearly not right, but when I clicked the Download button anyway, it saw the Cobalt and downloaded the dives- and showed the "connected" message.

We are supporters of the open source libdivecomputer project, and actively encourage third party dive log applications. I know a few more are coming, but the list you have is complete for now.

-Ron

I’d be interested to know who you contacted at SubSurface, we can work with them to figure out what’s happening- Cobalt support is a little newer for them, but I will reach out to my contact there. I just tried downloading to SubSurface and it worked (under MacOS 10.10.5)- but I’m seeing the same thing you are with SubSurface 4.4.2 re- showing a “Bluetooth-Incoming-Port” as the mount point. That’s clearly not right, but when I clicked the Download button anyway, it saw the Cobalt and downloaded the dives- and showed the "connected" message.

We are supporters of the open source libdivecomputer project, and actively encourage third party dive log applications. I know a few more are coming, but the list you have is complete for now.

-Ron

Amazing! Thank you for supporting libdivecomputer.

Sorry for not updating sooner but I've been busy with life away from the sport:( and thanks Ron for checking in here too. Good news! I have it working now. Sorry Ron, I was confused on which party for support I was working with. It was actually the MacDive folks, guy names Nick. Was last asked to capture console screens filtered for macdive but never had time to get back to that. There is a little trick or secret apparently that changed between os 10.10.3 and 10.10.4. For anyone else here was the secret. If running os 10.10.4 or later put the cobalt into upload mode before launching the app. That's all it took. Doing that now works on every mac I tried with 10.10.4 and newer. I found this out on my wife's macbook still running 10.10.1 that it worked fine. I then stepped it up a release at a time and when I got to 10.10.4 it stopped working. I fiddled a little and by accident I had put it in upload mode before launching one of the apps during one test and it started working. I couldn't believe that was the issue so I moved it over to my mac on 10.10.5 with it already in upload mode and launched the apps and worked flawlessly.
Ron, you are correct the subsurface incorrectly shows the bluetooth point but you will also notice it's greyed out on the first attempt. So it just appears cosmetic. With my other dive computers connected it is not greyed out and I do have to pick the appropriate USBxxxx device for them to work.

Atomic has been promising an update to the Cobalt 2 F/W for months (a year now). When are we actually going to get that F/W update?
I had to contact MacDive and get the un-official F/W in order to get my Cobalt 2 to actually upload dives to my Mac, so technically I'm running unsupported F/W on my dive computer. Are we going to get anything other than "soon" from Atomic??

Just checked an old thread, on Sept. 24, 2014 it was mentioned that the new F/W is going through testing and verification, it's almost a year and 2.26 is still the F/W listed on Atomic's site! Really guys???

Atomic has been promising an update to the Cobalt 2 F/W for months (a year now). When are we actually going to get that F/W update?
I had to contact MacDive and get the un-official F/W in order to get my Cobalt 2 to actually upload dives to my Mac, so technically I'm running unsupported F/W on my dive computer. Are we going to get anything other than "soon" from Atomic??

Just checked an old thread, on Sept. 24, 2014 it was mentioned that the new F/W is going through testing and verification, it's almost a year and 2.26 is still the F/W listed on Atomic's site! Really guys???

Yep, It's been frustrating for us as well. We had some delays caused by necessary changes to hardware components- manufacturers change parts and we need to alter designs to use what is available. Firmware needs to be changed to accommodate. But I believe Atomic is starting to ship Cobalt 2's this week with new firmware. It should appear on the website soon.

-Ron

MacDive all day long and twice on Sundays.

The best part is the development team is very on top of things. Nick is great.

I have a Cobalt 2 and a Mac running 10.10.5
I have used Dive Log and tried Mac Dive. Both work fine. I just tried the trial version of the latest Mac Dive and really like that software. I just may purchase the full version and switch.

Back
Top Bottom