Looking for Mac love(support) for the Cobalt 2.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jnmarshall

Registered
Reaction score
I recently upgraded(?) from my Pelagic/Hollis branded dive computers to an Cobalt 2. However I can't seem to locate any working software to download about a dozen recent dives to my Mac. On the atomic website it offers a list of four software options but none actually seem to work.

First on the list is DivingLog 5.0. I checked out the site now offer DivingLog 6.0 and 5.0 but these are Windows and iOS apps. No Mac version is available.

Next is SubSurface 4.4.2. Played with it for a couple of weeks. Actually works well. Was able to import my dives from the Prelagic software. It also interfaces with my Oceanic, Aeris and Mares dive computers. But it doesn't recognize the Cobalt 2 at all. According to SubSurface support(which is top notch for a free app) no drivers are needed. It's suppose to show the port which is a dev/tty.usb type, like the others computers but it only shows a generic bluetooth driver. I validated that the Cobalt 2, when enabled, shows on my Mac's device list under System Information as a "COBALT" under the USB Bus->Hub. At this point they say it's an Atomic issue.

Dive Log DT and MacDive. Tried the "trial" versions of the software and they just suck. Dive Log DT requires you to pay $25 to actually do ANYTHING. So I can not confirm it even works with the Cobalt 2 as the trial version does not support importing/downloading. And MacDive is similar. Again without paying $25 the trial version is limited so I can't validate it will work with my computers, import my existing logs, etc...

Anyone have any good suggestions on Mac software? Preferably anyone know how to get the Cobalt 2 to work with SubSurface? All diagnostics and testing seems to indicate that the USB connection is working. I can connect it, see it, I can put it in boot loader mode and all.

Good suggestion for Mac software would be MacDive MacDive

It lists the Cobalt and Cobalt 2.

My oceanic computers work on it very well.

As indicated, I tried that. I couldn't get it work. It says "Beginning Import" then just spins for hours till I exit the app. I'm not going to waste $25 on software that does not offer a working trial. It's sad you spend $1000+ for a DC and you have to spend more money for software to download the logs. I spent 1/2 that on other DCs and got free software that actually works.

The support offered by Macdive is pretty good. email them. Usually you will hear back in a couple of hours. It's probably something very simple. I had a small problem and it was fixed quickly by emailing them.

As indicated, I tried that. I couldn't get it work. It says "Beginning Import" then just spins for hours till I exit the app. I'm not going to waste $25 on software that does not offer a working trial. It's sad you spend $1000+ for a DC and you have to spend more money for software to download the logs. I spent 1/2 that on other DCs and got free software that actually works.

The support offered by Macdive is pretty good. email them. Usually you will hear back in a couple of hours. It's probably something very simple. I had a small problem and it was fixed quickly by emailing them.
I'm starting to suspect it is Atomic's issue. I never get the green "Connected" message after pressing select twice on the Upload Dives message on the Cobalt 2. This is per MacDives troubleshooting they insist you follow when emailing them.

It sounds like a cable issue...or at least that's where I'd start troubleshooting.

I agree with this. Sorry you are having trouble. Ron has always jumped in and helped

I still like the feel of Divelog 5 and run parallels for mac just for that program.

I think I may have found a work around for now. With 10.10 Apple added additional security around drivers and such. I confirmed with three different macs running 10.10.5 and none of the software recognizes the Cobalt:( For my other dive computers, like the Mares and Prelagic I have to download and install a driver and they work fine. The Atomic has none and I guess is trying to be used as a native USB driver. I used an old Mac Mini with 10.8 I have to keep for old iOS 6 app support(don't ask). Installed SubSurface and downloaded my dives without issue. My work around requires me to download to the mac mini then I move the file over and merge it on my other mac where I keep all my dives recorded. It's not ideal but at least it will work till Atomic looks at there USB interface for macs and releases a firmware update for better mac support.
Alternative work around is parallels or vmware and run a windows log software. That's even more of a hassle IMO for mac owners.

I run 10.10.5 with MacDive and use a Cobalt 2 without any issues.

There's a few things you should be aware of (all these issues have been discussed in full detail here in the past):

1. Unlike other OS's (Windows & Linux) the Cobalt won't show the device as connected to the Mac *until* you start MacDive and ask it to import the latest dives. It has to do with how OS X does negotiation with devices (not a flaw in the Cobalt firmware.)

Basically, you go to the settings->system information screen and select USB, then select again to initiate the connection. It will *not* show as connected when you do this. Only when the import from happens from MacDive then it will show up as connected (however, it is connected.)

2. There's a bug in the 2.26 firmware that can cause certain dives not to import on the Mac. If not all your dives are being downloaded, message Ron and he can set you up with a new firmware, which will fix this problem (it's been working flawlessly for me for months.)

See more detail on both these issues here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/atomic-aquatics/492263-download-dive-log-cobalt-2-mac.html

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom